PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need new engine mounts

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2016, 09:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Need new engine mounts

I'm gonna replace the upper and lower motor mounts (I can see it bounce when starting) just curious what the best quality option is. I remember there are some that are recommended, and some that were not so good, but there's a lot of options on the market, and some are names I don't recognize. Are the Mopar mounts good? They seem to be the highest priced ones out there, curious if it's worth it? Mine is a turbo gt '05, and it does get launched off the line now and then, so the new ones will get a workout!
Old 01 Aug 2016, 10:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Need new engine mounts

I went with duralast and IMO they are too stiff. After I replaced them, i notice ALOT of vibration. I ensured they were adjusted by the book and still lots of vibration.
Old 01 Aug 2016, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On both of my PT Cruisers I went with Mopar mounts. They are expensive but it felt like brand new PT Cruisers after I installed them. No vibrations at all.

I was concerned about the aftermarket motor mounts not being identical in the manufacturing dimension sizes, type of material, etc.
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 01 Aug 2016 at 10:30 am.
Old 01 Aug 2016, 11:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Anchor Doan makes the majority of the aftermarket mounts on the market. Good quality and fit.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 01 Aug 2016, 01:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
On both of my PT Cruisers I went with Mopar mounts. They are expensive but it felt like brand new PT Cruisers after I installed them. No vibrations at all.

I was concerned about the aftermarket motor mounts not being identical in the manufacturing dimension sizes, type of material, etc.
I have OEM on my PT as well, had Anchor Industries installed (by an ASE mechanic) and twice they failed within a few months. The OEM's have been on now for over 2 years, no problems. It's usually about price, in that you get what you pay for, go cheap now but you may be replacing them more often.
Old 01 Aug 2016, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've used Anchor mounts for years. You just have to get the right lower mount depending on if your PT is a turbo or NA.

RockAuto has such low prices on these mounts that it's often cheaper to buy them than it is for an individual to ship them. I just installed a new lower Anchor brand mount on my PT and will be installing the top mount in just a few weeks.

LionPT likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Aug 2016 at 04:11 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 06:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all the input. After thinking it over, I decided to let myself get hosed at the dealer for Mopar parts. While there are certainly much less expensive alternatives, there also seems to be mixed feedback on most of them except the Mopar stuff, so I'm hoping by spending more it'll be a once and done (or at least a long term fix). I know spending more doesn't always equal better quality, just hoping for the best in this case. I prefer to have as much of my wrenching as possible be improvements instead of repairs, but I'm sure we all feel that way.

So now the question is... Do I install these dry, or is there some kind of lube I should be putting on them? Suspension/bushings really isn't my wheelhouse, and I don't wanna trash all this extra money I wasted!

Thanks guys...
Old 03 Aug 2016, 09:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

My Dad had a 1969 Chrysler station wagon with a 440 engine in it (at least I think that's what was in it)...seems that he was replacing motor mounts quite frequently...seems his son was stomping on the gas popping the automatic transmission from 1st to 3rd...guess Chrysler motor mounts have never been that great for folks that DRIVE their cars...the fix was the mechanic (Dad's SIL) had a word with Dad's son...

I have had the same issue in my PT with motor mounts...so Chrysler hasn't improved them in all these years...

and, yes, I still stomp on the gas.
dougs likes this.

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).
Old 04 Aug 2016, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The mix opinions may be from being installed incorrectly. It does not matter what qualifications,certification or tools used if you do not follow exactly the Factory Service Manual recommendation procedure fro installing any mounts you can get increased vibration and premature mount failure.

Anchor is known for improving their products over the OE manufacture or at least equaling the specifications.

Currently accordingly (*As per Anchor) both the lower struts will fit all application PT Cruisers with he only difference in the 2 parts numbers are the bolt hole sizing.

*Many auto p[arts distributors are now stocking only one part number and advertise all PT application fitment.

*If you get the small hole mount and have the larger bolt you can easily drill for the larger size if you do not with to exchange the part.
rsrocket1 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Aug 2016, 09:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The mix opinions may be from being installed incorrectly. It does not matter what qualifications,certification or tools used if you do not follow exactly the Factory Service Manual recommendation procedure fro installing any mounts you can get increased vibration and premature mount failure.

Anchor is known for improving their products over the OE manufacture or at least equaling the specifications.

Currently accordingly (*As per Anchor) both the lower struts will fit all application PT Cruisers with he only difference in the 2 parts numbers are the bolt hole sizing.

*Many auto p[arts distributors are now stocking only one part number and advertise all PT application fitment.

*If you get the small hole mount and have the larger bolt you can easily drill for the larger size if you do not with to exchange the part.
Do I remember seeing a link to a factory service manual somewhere here? Maybe it was a parts catalog I'm thinking of? If we don't have one available online, I may be picking your brain on that one Nitro... I've seen the videos of the best way to get at them, but would like to know what other specifics (torque, preload, whatever) are recommended to do it right... spent too much on these mounts, don't feel like doing it twice!
NitroPT likes this.