Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No coolant/overheating; how to fix?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2016, 11:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No coolant/overheating; how to fix?

Hi,

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser. A couple weeks ago, someone was driving it with AC on and it overheated and they said steam came out. Every drive recently, the temperature temporarily goes up high about 10 minutes into the drive, sometimes setting off the temperature light, before settling down to the midpoint for the rest of the drive. I sometimes hear what sounds like liquid boiling (gurgling?) from under the hood when I turn off the engine.

I looked under the hood and there doesn't seem to be anything in the coolant overflow bottle. I don't know what happened to the coolant, whether there is a leak, or it slowly decreased over time, or an incompetent oil-change person accidentally let it out or something. The sound makes me think that perhaps there is air in the cooling system (perhaps related to the coolant being too low).

I read some stuff online about how to bleed the air from the coolant by doing stuff with the bleed valve, but I am not confident I have the level of technical ability to do that without making it worse.

What is the simplest thing I can do to make it better in the short term without paying a lot of money? Could I just add coolant to overflow bottle?

Thanks
Old 04 Aug 2016, 12:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No coolant/overheating; how to fix?

I would suggest checking the high speed on your radiator fan. With the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C and see if the radiator fan comes on. If it does not come on you need to check the wiring going to the radiator fan or the radiator fan to make sure it working properly.l
Old 04 Aug 2016, 02:06 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newacct View Post
Hi,

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser. A couple weeks ago, someone was driving it with AC on and it overheated and they said steam came out. Every drive recently, the temperature temporarily goes up high about 10 minutes into the drive, sometimes setting off the temperature light, before settling down to the midpoint for the rest of the drive. I sometimes hear what sounds like liquid boiling (gurgling?) from under the hood when I turn off the engine.

I looked under the hood and there doesn't seem to be anything in the coolant overflow bottle. I don't know what happened to the coolant, whether there is a leak, or it slowly decreased over time, or an incompetent oil-change person accidentally let it out or something.The sound makes me think that perhaps there is air in the cooling system (perhaps related to the coolant being too low).

I read some stuff online about how to bleed the air from the coolant by doing stuff with the bleed valve, but I am not confident I have the level of technical ability to do that without making it worse.

What is the simplest thing I can do to make it better in the short term without paying a lot of money? Could I just add coolant to overflow bottle?

Thanks
After troubleshooting the fan & other forum suggested remedies to figure out why it overheated in the first place, the process of bleeding the air out of the system is one of necessity, but not too complicated with a little patience.

Make sure your using the proper coolant, my 2005 PT calls for the HOAT Zerex G-05 coolant which I believe is across the board for all PT years, orange in color not green, just ensure the right type, pre-mixed 50/50 or use distilled water to mix, distilled to flush system to ensure proper mixture in system once all is sorted.

The coolant bottle needs to be filled to proper level, then the radiator filled to top of the neck. A few inches below the neck is the bleeder valve, can be opened & closed with a 3/8" wrench. Once opened the fluid in the neck will drop as air in system is forced out, you only want to crack open the bleeder valve enough to let air out, in a quiet setting you can hear the air releasing from system. Once air sound stops or water starts to trickle out bleeder valve close it lighly, add more coolant to fill up to neck, slowly open bleeder valve, fluid will again drop as air is pushed out. Continue to do this process until fluid level no longer drops, only fluid drips out bleeder valve. Snug up bleeder valve, put the radiator cap on, bring car up to temp turning on heat & fan on high a couple minutes as well to make sure no air bubble anywhere, then allow to cool. Take note of coolant level in overflow bottle, open radiator cap, if fluid is down, add fluid & purge air out again. Once all done make sure bleeder valve is snugged up but not over-tightened.

This whole process should be done once the cause of / loss of fluid leak has been determined, of course you can bleed air out to see if helps with the current distressed condition. Just flushed my radiator this past weekend, not a difficult process, the way I described it worked for me, other members may have other or better suggestions, just sharing my experience that worked for me.

I tried attaching the clear tube to bleeder valve as suggested, but by not opening bleeder valve much, keeping fluid at a trickle I had no issues, no air or leaks days later after checking multiple times, temp gauge needle just a smidge below center as it's been for the past several years. Hopefully you'll find the info helpful.

Good luck with getting it all sorted out!!
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~

Last edited by DroptopPTGTCruizer; 04 Aug 2016 at 02:10 am.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 07:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks I will try this this weekend..

Tags
coolant