PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

 
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06 Aug 2016, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Default PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

I have a 2003 Touring and I can't get it to even try to crank. When you turn the key, you can hear the fuel pump fire up and then...nothing. You can jump the starter and it will fire up. I tried changing the starter anyway, but no luck. I checked the ignition switch and cylinder and both are ok. I checked the fuse and relay and they are also ok. I'm running out of parts to check! Also, the battery has gone dead and I have to do all of my checks jumped from another car. Anybody have any ideas? I'm stumped! Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07 Aug 2016, 01:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,301
Default Re: PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked the starter relay?

When you turn the key to start the engine are you getting voltage to the solenoid?
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Aug 2016 at 01:03 am.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07 Aug 2016, 04:33 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,336
Default Re: PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu29573 View Post
I have a 2003 Touring and I can't get it to even try to crank. When you turn the key, you can hear the fuel pump fire up and then...nothing. You can jump the starter and it will fire up. I tried changing the starter anyway, but no luck. I checked the ignition switch and cylinder and both are ok. I checked the fuse and relay and they are also ok. I'm running out of parts to check! Also, the battery has gone dead and I have to do all of my checks jumped from another car. Anybody have any ideas? I'm stumped! Thanks!
As you found out if you can jump the starter and the car starts the starter is good.
How did you check the ignition switch?
__________________
Addicted to Mopar You can tell how old I am..
65 Dodge Coronet 6 cyl 2dr Post
66 Ply Satellite with 273 engine swap to 69 340 4spd
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07 Aug 2016, 06:36 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Default Re: PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked the starter relay?

When you turn the key to start the engine are you getting voltage to the solenoid?
Thanks.
I switched the starter relat with the a/c relay. A/c fires up, but car doesn't start.

I'm not sure if I'm getting volts

Last edited by stu29573; 07 Aug 2016 at 06:39 am.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07 Aug 2016, 06:41 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Default Re: PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
As you found out if you can jump the starter and the car starts the starter is good.
How did you check the ignition switch?
I actually replaced the switch.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07 Aug 2016, 08:25 am
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 4,713
Default Re: PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

It doesn't click, fart, burp or anything when you turn the key? Sounds like you have a burnt or broken wire somewhere to me. BUT, I'm NOT a mechanic. I'd start with tracing all of the wiring from the starter to the fuse box and then from the fuse box to the switch. Either that or just run a bypass to the starter and hard wire in a push button.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07 Aug 2016, 08:49 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Default Re: PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
It doesn't click, fart, burp or anything when you turn the key? Sounds like you have a burnt or broken wire somewhere to me. BUT, I'm NOT a mechanic. I'd start with tracing all of the wiring from the starter to the fuse box and then from the fuse box to the switch. Either that or just run a bypass to the starter and hard wire in a push button.
Yeah, that was my project for today. I even thought my battery cable might be bad. It would be sweet to find an easily accessible burned wire! It usually doesn't work that way, though....
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07 Aug 2016, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,301
Default Re: PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu29573 View Post
Thanks.
I switched the starter relat with the a/c relay. A/c fires up, but car doesn't start.

I'm not sure if I'm getting volts
I would suggest pulling the starter relay and see if you getting voltage to the starter relay when you turn the ignition switch to start.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07 Aug 2016, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Default Re: PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest pulling the starter relay and see if you getting voltage to the starter relay when you turn the ignition switch to start.
Good point. That would at least show where the problem is in the chain....
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07 Aug 2016, 11:23 am
revo's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 214
Default Re: PT won't crank....tried everything!!!

Two things you need to do ,with test light or power probe check power wire and signal wire to see if they have power if not trace back till you find power. You already jumped it it works so not ground issue. Good luck keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
05 PT won't crank aps703 Tech & Performance Forum 4 16 Nov 2015 07:56 pm
No Crank clindley Welcome New PT Cruiser Members 2 09 Jun 2015 09:46 pm
no crank clffkirts Tech & Performance Forum 1 03 Jun 2015 08:46 pm
@002 will crank but will not run jrywb329 General PT Cruiser Discussions 0 01 Jun 2014 10:47 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors