Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 pt cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2016, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 pt cruiser

Im having a heck of a time figuring this problem out. I had check engine light come on. Hooked it up to computer and it said I needed crank shaft position sensor and cam shaft position sensor. Even before engine light came on I knew there was a problem. When I gave it gas at the start, it would start bogging down and jerking at 20 miles per hour then a 40. I replaced the parts and took it for a ride. At first it seemed the problem was solved. Within 5 minutes it started doing the same thing again. I figured it must be when the car starts getting hot,. I figured it might be a wire that was getting hot so I checked the wires. A lot of the insulation had came off because of age and some of the wires coming from the sensors were in areas where they could get hot. I went through and rewrapped the wires with new insulation. Took quite a while because they allow you no room in the engine compartment. That didn't work. By the way, I did take the parts back and got new ones just in case. Put them on, but that didn't work. I am stumped. engine light came back on and computer said same thing. Bad sensors. When the car is first started and I pull out it runs great for 3 minutes. It gets a little warm and start messing up again. Im not a mechanic but do have a working knowledge of engines to an extent. Im stumped. I don't know what else to do, It might be the computer but I just don't want to start replacing parts that it might not need. Does anyone out there know what could be wrong? Im sure its something simple but I don't have enough experience to trouble shoot it. Please help. I don't want to take this to a $100 an hour mechanic for something I can do.Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have.
Old 08 Aug 2016, 02:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 pt cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamrany123 View Post
Im having a heck of a time figuring this problem out. I had check engine light come on. Hooked it up to computer and it said I needed crank shaft position sensor and cam shaft position sensor. Even before engine light came on I knew there was a problem. When I gave it gas at the start, it would start bogging down and jerking at 20 miles per hour then a 40. I replaced the parts and took it for a ride. At first it seemed the problem was solved. Within 5 minutes it started doing the same thing again. I figured it must be when the car starts getting hot,. I figured it might be a wire that was getting hot so I checked the wires. A lot of the insulation had came off because of age and some of the wires coming from the sensors were in areas where they could get hot. I went through and rewrapped the wires with new insulation. Took quite a while because they allow you no room in the engine compartment. That didn't work. By the way, I did take the parts back and got new ones just in case. Put them on, but that didn't work. I am stumped. engine light came back on and computer said same thing. Bad sensors. When the car is first started and I pull out it runs great for 3 minutes. It gets a little warm and start messing up again. Im not a mechanic but do have a working knowledge of engines to an extent. Im stumped. I don't know what else to do, It might be the computer but I just don't want to start replacing parts that it might not need. Does anyone out there know what could be wrong? Im sure its something simple but I don't have enough experience to trouble shoot it. Please help. I don't want to take this to a $100 an hour mechanic for something I can do.Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have.
It takes few minutes to warm up the engine to go into closed loop and the computer takes over, start by making sure grounds and battery terminals are clean and tight. And I hope you reinsulated the bare wires individually.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 08 Aug 2016, 02:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

How many miles are on the engine and does it have an EGR valve? If so, I'd check the EGR valve and see if it's carboned up. You can scrape the carbon off the pintle and check the port where it's mounted and make sure it's clear. If there's a carbon build up in there, you'll need to clean it out too. I also have to ask when's the last time you did a tune up and throttle body cleaning? And finally, where'd you get the sensors? If at a chain parts store like the Zone or Advance, that could still be the problem. I've worked for both in the past and electrical items are the most frequently returned, no good out of the box, items they sell. If possible, get yourself some genuine Mopar sensors and see what happens.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 08 Aug 2016, 02:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Does it run well when it is cold? Heat related issues are often wiring or computer related. What codes did the car actually throw? I would search every thread that had the same codes. I would double and triple check all the connectors. Any melting? Did you check the magnets? I believe that some have had trouble with the magnets (which those sensors read) can be damaged and go bad with the heat. Where did you get the sensors? There have been reports of whole batches of those parts house sensors being bad out of the box.

I am considerably cheaper than the next guy, but sometimes you are dollars ahead going with the mechanic. It may be something you can do, but if you can't diagnose it, you can't do it. I am too stubborn to do this myself, but I generally have other cars to use when mine it down. Of course, at that point I am paying insurance for a non-op car so it is probably a bigger waste than the $100/hr mechanic.

Tags
crank sensor/cam sensor