Advertisements
Rear disc swap question

Like Tree19Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2016, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear disc swap question

In a previous thread (link below), I asked about the merits of investing in cross drilled rotors. My current question is this: would I be better off spending the money swapping from drums to rear discs? How big of an improvement is it?

Cross drilled rotors or no?
Old 09 Aug 2016, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear disc swap question

MY OPINION.
Based on my experience, your best bet is to get the best (costliest) disks, and ceramic pads.
For example, NAPA carries several disks for the PT - get the highest priced ones.
Rear brakes - disk or drum - are only about 20% of the braking.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Aug 2016, 08:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
MY OPINION.
Based on my experience, your best bet is to get the best (costliest) disks, and ceramic pads.
For example, NAPA carries several disks for the PT - get the highest priced ones.
Rear brakes - disk or drum - are only about 20% of the braking.
I've got NAPA premium drums and rotors, and their premium ceramic pads on my PT, very pleased with them, nice and quiet, unlike some semi-metallic pads can be.
Old 09 Aug 2016, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebez View Post
In a previous thread (link below), I asked about the merits of investing in cross drilled rotors. My current question is this: would I be better off spending the money swapping from drums to rear discs? How big of an improvement is it?

Cross drilled rotors or no?
I swapped out the rear drum axle on my 2001 Limited for a disc axle.

The Handy Rear Disc Brake Upgrade

But in the end, it worked out great and there was a noticeable increase in stopping power. And I just used OEM style rotors. For about a year, I drove this car almost everyday as a daily commuter car in stop and go traffic. That little baby would stop on a dime.

I've installed the drilled and slotted good-quality R1 Concept rotors on my Charger Daytona along with top quality pads:

But I haven't noticed anything except an increase in compliments for my Charger.

So in the end, if you just want better stopping power, I'd say upgrade to rear disc brakes and forget about the drilled and slotted rotors. Of course if you want to look cool, these nifty rotors are the way to go.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Aug 2016 at 04:34 am.
Old 09 Aug 2016, 09:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

I said it in the other thread and I will say it again here:

Pad material is going to be the single most important choice you make. Go for the pad material that best suits your needs will IMO make more difference than swapping to read disk or drilling and/or slotted rotors.

I would say my next two changes would probably be new high quality fluid and better brake hoses. Hardly anybody changes their fluid and when there is water or air in the system it can cause all sorts of problems. I would get everything working as well as possible before engineering new changes.
Old 09 Aug 2016, 11:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

if you have rear shoes invest in a good quality parts. The expense swamping to disc rear although is aesthetically pleasing to the looks is negligible for any increase in braking performance. Members reporting other wise maybe should have took better care of the rear drum system and then with both having new components tested to find out the real results in a rear disc brake conversion. To be VERY CLEAR you will not get a "noticeable increase in stopping power" as described in the earlier response.
thecabinguy and chuzz like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Aug 2016 at 04:35 am.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 05:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with Nitro. Todays cars depend more on the front brakes than the rear ones. Just take the money you're THINKING about spending and get good, quality rotors and pads for the front and new shoes and HARDWARE for the rear drums. Too many people never replace the hardware and springs on drums and wonder why they don't work like they used to!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 09:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

That's a cheap enough upgrade for sure, Todd. Do you have to swap out the master cylinder and proportioning valve too, or is it just pretty much swap out the rear axle assembly and brake hoses? I'm asking out of curiosity, because my GT has rear discs already.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 09:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Let's be clear. If you see s considerable difference in braking after a brake type swap like the drum to disk. You have changed the bias of braking front to rear. This is only a bad thing when you reach the limit of the rear wheels to rotate during braking compared to the front. You may be fine up until you find your self in slippery conditions in a emergency braking. I know some of us think we know all and are confident to say it's ok. But you can only know this if you put yourself in a situation that can show you what is going to happen in a exstream situation. That would be in a curve and slick conditions. If it goes streight your ok. But if the Back end comes around you have a potential hazard. Noted that only PTs that are born with 4 wheel disk have antilock brakes. Maybe there is a reason for this,

I'm not sure who the part mechanic thing is aimed at. But I'm sure a certification would rule out some members. We uncertified responders here could all be the potential target of this slanderous remark. Let's keep it grown up and have a thicker skin.

Like some have said. The brake material is the difference and roters are for looks. On the street.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 10 Aug 2016 at 09:15 am.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
That's a cheap enough upgrade for sure, Todd. Do you have to swap out the master cylinder and proportioning valve too, or is it just pretty much swap out the rear axle assembly and brake hoses? I'm asking out of curiosity, because my GT has rear discs already.
The master cylinder are shown to be different. Proportioning is most likely handled by the master cylinder. Or perhaps the abs plays a part in that. But won't know that with out having done that. Was not changed in Tod,s mod.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 10 Aug 2016 at 09:22 am.
Closed Thread