Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering easy to turn right hard to turn left

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2016, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Power Steering easy to turn right hard to turn left

Hi i have just bought my first PT 4.2 petrol...As i could not test drive it due to it being sworn of the road from no tax i never picked up on the steering problem...The pump makes no sound...You turn to the right and its very easy spin with the hand...You turn to the left and it a bit more tuff. You can still spin it with the hand but you can just feel its much more hard work...If anyone has had this problem pleas shout me as i am a bit lost....Thank you
Old 11 Aug 2016, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering easy to turn right hard to turn left

im betting it is a 2.4 in place of a 4.2 odd that it would go one way and not the opther maybe the rack is corroded or damaged on that side
Old 12 Aug 2016, 07:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

Have you even checked the power steering level?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 08:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Power Steering easy to turn right hard to turn left

Yes all fluid is good. I think i will fire it in to the garage and let them cast a eye over it mainly because it also has a starting problem. You get in start it and do a run in it. Turn it off go to start it again and it will not start. Back the key off and go again and it starts. I am not sure if it maybe the crank sensor or the cam sensor. The crank one looks a right bastard to get to. In that garage they have a computer thing that fires a code at them so i am hoping it will have saved a code and tell us that it is the sensor.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 08:47 am
Senior Cruiser

This is probably a tough one to diagnose via internet. Usually I have no trouble making a WAG, but there just isn't enough info. Without knowing just how different the effort is, it could be anything from alignment issues to something being bent and binding or just a sticky rack. Hell, it might be something as simple as tire pressure. I don't believe I have heard of this issue with a PT.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger_Le_Bonk View Post
Yes all fluid is good. I think i will fire it in to the garage and let them cast a eye over it mainly because it also has a starting problem. You get in start it and do a run in it. Turn it off go to start it again and it will not start. Back the key off and go again and it starts. I am not sure if it maybe the crank sensor or the cam sensor. The crank one looks a right bastard to get to. In that garage they have a computer thing that fires a code at them so i am hoping it will have saved a code and tell us that it is the sensor.
Is your engine light on?

I would suggest if your engine light is not on to do a battery load test with the battery in the PT Cruiser. Make sure when they do the test to input the correct amps that the battery is suppose to hold.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 02:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am having a nightmare day.....The breaks are spongy on it...But then i say spongy i mean the peddle goes to the floor on it... The breaks still work and will stop you dead. But the peddle travels to the floor....So i though i would check to see if there was any air in the breaks. I put a non return valve on the clear tube i used just in case and got the old lady to press the break up and down as i bled them. I did all 4 wheels and a litre of fluid later there was still no air in the system. Now i can only think that the break servo has gone on it...Mine is a 2005....Does anyone no if they suffer with this and if anyone has fitted a new one could you please give me some pointers as to how hard a job it is....Please tell me you dont have to remove the dashboard please dont