PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 Cruiser radiator fan replacement.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2016, 12:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 Cruiser radiator fan replacement.

I've had a lot of issues with periodic overheating. It goes good for a day or two and then starts to overheat. it only overheats when sitting still at lights or in traffic. If I start moving again, the temp drops back to normal. I've done everything I can think of to fix the issue and now believe I need to replace the cooling fan. My question is about the controls (relays, modules) on the back of the fan assembly. They are two square connectors on the right, top of the fan housing (looking at the car from the front) with a wire coming from them. The part I've found online says "without controllers", what does that mean? It says it's an exact fit for my car. Do I need to remove the relays from the housing and somehow get them on the new one? Are they still needed? Any help is appreciated, I'm hoping to get this done this weekend. It's a 2008 PT, non-turbo, basic engine.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 01:23 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2008 Cruiser radiator fan replacement.

IMO, it would be best to get the complete fan assembly that includes the relays and wiring harness, there's not that much price difference, and may save you some trouble later going with just the bare fan.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 Cruiser radiator fan replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJenn74us View Post
I've had a lot of issues with periodic overheating. It goes good for a day or two and then starts to overheat. it only overheats when sitting still at lights or in traffic. If I start moving again, the temp drops back to normal. I've done everything I can think of to fix the issue and now believe I need to replace the cooling fan. My question is about the controls (relays, modules) on the back of the fan assembly. They are two square connectors on the right, top of the fan housing (looking at the car from the front) with a wire coming from them. The part I've found online says "without controllers", what does that mean? It says it's an exact fit for my car. Do I need to remove the relays from the housing and somehow get them on the new one? Are they still needed? Any help is appreciated, I'm hoping to get this done this weekend. It's a 2008 PT, non-turbo, basic engine.
I would suggest buying a completely new radiator fan assembly. When a member buys only components of the radiator fan assembly that they find bad or an incomplete radiator fan assembly they sometimes find more bad parts in the radiator fan assembly down the road and with a engine you are trying to keep cool why take a chance? Its much cheaper then doing a head gasket, etc.
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Aug 2016 at 01:25 pm.

Tags
cooling, fan, overheating, radiator