Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Suspension/steering noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2016, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Suspension/steering noise

Hello everyone, I am trying to diagnose a horrible sound I have coming from the suspension of my 03 cruiser. The noise happens on bumps and especially when turning the steering wheel either way. I am suspecting it's the lower control arm bushings because both front struts are new. The car was also realigned since I also had that issue. I have a video with the sound I am talking about. Please let me know what you think so I can get rid of the noise soon.https://youtu.be/EmPaEFV1fu4
Old 14 Aug 2016, 11:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Suspension/steering noise

Where did you get the struts and who installed them? It sure as hell sounds to me like defective strut bearings. If not that, then maybe someone put the wrong strut on the wrong side. Left one is on the right, right one is on the left. That's why I don't let anyone work on my car, if I can help it. I don't care if it takes me a few days to do something. That way if it's screwed up, I know who to blame.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Aug 2016, 08:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

At the moment I was able to trace the noise to two things. One was the power steering rack which apparently was running sort of dry because it was leaking fluid from tie rod cover area. The second area is the bushing on the control arm closest to the front of the car. It creaks like crazy. I did add fluid to ps and it helped however now I need to get new bushings because both are in bad shape.
Old 16 Aug 2016, 10:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03PTMOM View Post
Hello everyone, I am trying to diagnose a horrible sound I have coming from the suspension of my 03 cruiser. The noise happens on bumps and especially when turning the steering wheel either way. I am suspecting it's the lower control arm bushings because both front struts are new. The car was also realigned since I also had that issue. I have a video with the sound I am talking about. Please let me know what you think so I can get rid of the noise soon.https://youtu.be/EmPaEFV1fu4
We're you having any noises before having the struts installed? Under car noises can be a bear to track down simply because there are so many moving pieces in the suspension and what sounds like it's coming from the front end can be from the rear end. I chased the noises for months replacing bushings and parts and eventually found it, lower control arms and the watts link. Good luck but start with you LCA's if you have a lot of miles on them.
Old 17 Aug 2016, 07:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, the noise existed before the change. It's actually one of the reason I changed the struts because I thought they were worn and not functions well since they had 145k on them. I also think my tranny mount is bad because the driver side control arm is resting on the frame of the car. The other does not touch it. I think this issue is leading to the overall noise by the stress it's putting on the bushings and possibly other things.
Old 17 Aug 2016, 08:15 am
Young Cruiser

It sounds like you may have diagnosed your own cause of the suspension sound issues. The shop you had the struts done at should have been able to suggested the same if they were made aware other issues were of concern. If you trust the shop your struts were done at, have them provide an estimate. See what parts they state are needed, see if you can use better or proven parts suggested in this forum if indeed the LCA - lower control arms & trans mount are bad. The Moog problem solver LCA comes with all new bushings & can be a more cost-effective replacement part, while OEM motor mounts seem to be the best choice, but getting it fixed & within your budget is the most important thing here.

These are just suggestions, get it looked @ your shop or a mechanic you trust. Another forum member may have better suggestions, just based on what I've read & my own experience, I would start with the description above & go from there. Rely on the person looking at the vehicle, get a 2nd opinion, but don't drive around for much longer, if at all possible, in the vehicles current state or more issues will end up developing. Let us know what happens, good luck...
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~

Last edited by DroptopPTGTCruizer; 17 Aug 2016 at 08:20 am.
Old 02 Dec 2016, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

While my post is a few months late, I wanted the OP to know I have the EXACT same squeak in my 2008 steering. I know it's not caused by struts or lower control arms because I've replaced both and the squeak is still there. Suspect the steering column or the rack and pinion, but unsure how to proceed at this point. Like the OP, it's driving me crazy!