Advertisements
Resync Crankshaft

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2016, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Resync Crankshaft

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser 2.4 non-turbo. I replaced the camshaft sensor because it went out. I went ahead and replaced the crankshaft sensor also because it was cheap. Everything I am ready is saying I need to resync the crankshaft sensor. It runs great, but takes a few seconds of turning over to start now and idles a little rough. I'm sure its because i need to resync. I have been turning a wrench for over 20 plus years now both professionally and personally. So I have a really good idea of what I'm doing. I have contacted 3 dealerships and not a one knows what I'm talking about. I do not have access to proper scanner to do the case learn. Does anyone know of a non-scanner way to resync the sensor. I have been unable to find anything concrete. Thanks.
Old 17 Aug 2016, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Resync Crankshaft

The PCM does not like aftermarket sensors and does not communicate with them very well as many members have found out the hard way. I get my camshaft and crankshaft sensors from the dealer or OEM.

Check the wiring and contacts going to the crankshaft and camshaft sensor first. Some members have claimed that its possible that in the process of replacing the aftermarket sensor with OEM brand that the movement of the wiring or contacts might have been bad and was taken care of after replacing the sensor.

Some members have had to take out the gasket for the aftermarket camshaft sensors to get the sensor closer to the target magnet to get it to communicate better.

My advice to you is to get an OBDII Scan tool to start learning how to diagnose problems depending on the codes the PCM triggers.

What made you replace the camshaft sensor?

Did it run good after replacing the camshaft sensor before replacing the crankshaft sensor or did you do both at the same time?

Is the engine light on now?

By the way welcome to the forum.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 17 Aug 2016 at 03:34 pm.
Old 17 Aug 2016, 03:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Just put your old crank sensor back in. I don't think there was anything wrong with it, was there?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 03:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

there is a option in tester that you can do that, not sure what it fix, i assume that you have to do that after timing belt chance and and after chance these sensor, probably someone knows better and give you a good info instead of jerking around