PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
o2 sensor codes after changing o2 sensors?

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2016, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default o2 sensor codes after changing o2 sensors?

Hey all

I have an 06 pt cruiser base with 130k on the odometer. I was having a misfire and faulty o2 sensor codes being read to me from the car and so I figured it was time to do a regular engine tuneup yesterday. I swapped out the spark plugs and ignition wires and that got rid of my misfire, but after the car going through the drive cycle I received the following codes:

p0032
p0038
p1128

They all say its sensor 1 banks 1&2. So I am assuming its only one of my sensors but I'm not sure. I am at a loss because I don't know what could be causing this since both o2 sensors are brand new. The only thing I can think to replace is my terminals because those are pretty corroded. I read that may be a solution if it is electrical.

If anyone has any insight on this issue it'd be greatly appreciated.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 10:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: o2 sensor codes after changing o2 sensors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexxin_97 View Post
Hey all

I have an 06 pt cruiser base with 130k on the odometer. I was having a misfire and faulty o2 sensor codes being read to me from the car and so I figured it was time to do a regular engine tuneup yesterday. I swapped out the spark plugs and ignition wires and that got rid of my misfire, but after the car going through the drive cycle I received the following codes:

p0032
p0038
p1128

They all say its sensor 1 banks 1&2. So I am assuming its only one of my sensors but I'm not sure. I am at a loss because I don't know what could be causing this since both o2 sensors are brand new. The only thing I can think to replace is my terminals because those are pretty corroded. I read that may be a solution if it is electrical.

If anyone has any insight on this issue it'd be greatly appreciated.
What brand sensors did you install?

I would suggest checking the ground wire that goes to both 02 sensors.

There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB): but I would concentrate on the 02 sensors first.

Service Bulletin Number: 1800206
NHTSA Number: 10019249
Model Years Affected: 2006
Date of Bulletin: 02/2006

Bulletin Summary: FLASH: MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT ILLUMINATION - P1128 CLOSED LOOP FUELING NOT ACHIEVED - BANK 1.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Aug 2016 at 10:17 am.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 10:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

From my own experience, my 2006 didn't like the Bosch O2 Sensors.
I used Bosch & CEL was still on & wouldn't clear. After doing some research on reviews around the web, I found some complaints with the 2006 & up PT's.
All suggestions said to go with NTK and that's what I did. Replaced O2 sensor again & light went out on 1st startup.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Aug 2016, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am running ntk sensors for both upstream and downstream.

I am wondering if it is something regarding wiring or electrical issues because the sensors are brand new out of the box and I switched them both at the same time as I did the plugs and wires.

I will take some time this evening to check the ground wire for the connectors as well as looking into getting some battery terminals for the car as well. The terminals are pretty corroded so I am going to assume they aren't doing me any favors when it comes to my electronics.

My silly question is - am I looking at my upsteam sensor or my downstream one according to the engine codes? I am more curious than anything. I absolutely hated changing the upstream one. That one was a PITA to get out and back in.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 10:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Also - where is the ground wire for the 02 sensors?
Old 18 Aug 2016, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The 02 sensors are actually HO2. They very rarely go bad so its wise to verify that the H02 sensors before replacing them. Seldom do both HO2 go bad at the same time.

I would suggest chasing and cleaning the threads with brake cleaner or some dry spray cleaner the thread and only a very small amount of anti-seize on the threads so that continuity is not insulated when anyone installs the H02 sensors.

On your battery cables its a good idea to always make sure they are making good contact as the 2006 and up are more sensitive to voltage drops.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

I bought the car and tried to clear these codes originally but because it was a used car I decided to change them both at once for good measure. I already changed them both out and they came with anti-seize on them out of the box. That is what is so mind boggling to me. The only thing I can think of is I sprayed wd40 on the old downstream sensor to loosen it, but i cleaned it up and obviously didn't spray into the hole so that couldn't be an issue.

I am definitely going to get good terminals for the cruiser today. But if there's anything else that I am missing as far as potential problems then i'd appreciate the insight.

used cars are always a bundle of joy! but I love my cruiser to death thus far. Especially since it's a 5 speed. It's been a really fun car and so I am trying to nurse it back to health to maximize it's longevity.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Many spray lubricants are not Electricity Conductive and should not be used around sensors or other electrical parts. Use electrical parts cleaners or cleaners that will air dry and leave no residue.
L2fish and chuzz like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Aug 2016, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So with the codes I am getting would that imply that the sensor that is bad is the downstream one?
Old 18 Aug 2016, 12:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

and after doing a little bit of reading I am a bit suspect of the PCM being the culprit. I got my check engine light and I wanted to solve this issue with the most cheap parts first which in this case was the sensors and my plugs and wires.

So, if I am correct in this order to troubleshoot this issue, please let me know. If i'm missing something it's always appreciated for the pointers.

to fix problem (order of troubleshooting)
o2 sensors and spark plugs -> battery terminals -> ground connection for o2 sensors -> PCM module replacement