PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2016, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Overheating Help

2.0l 2002 manual.

I'm at a loss where to go next with my overheating issue.
We have only had the car for 8 months and have had no issues with it over heating until over a week ago when I noticed the fan wasn't coming on so I ran some wires down to it and saw only high speed was working and low was dead so I have bypassed the sensors and it comes on when ever the car is running until the new fan motor arrives.
After that still no problems and the gauge at halfway as it always has been then today we have bubbling water in the reservoir and the gauge flys up to max and light on.
The fan is still on so I have eliminated that as the issue, but I can't work out why it would over heat if the fan is on.
The recovery guy came out and topped the water up as we lost some with its boiling and it did it again and he thinks the head gasket is possibly gone as he was seeing a few bubbles in the water with the cap off and suggested getting a compression test done.
I have done the compression test tonight and 3 cylinders are at 13 bar and 1 was at 12.5 bar so I class that as the head gasket being fine.
Error code wise I have 1489, 1490 and 0645 now I know the first 2 will show until I have the new fan on and connected and 0645 is air con related as that has stopped working and is the least of my worries atm.
I have used the bleed valve to get air out the system when filling the radiator so it's not an airlock.
Could it be leaves etc wedged in between the radiator and the air condenser? Or a water pump though I can see the water whirling around with the cap off.
Any help would be great as talking to uk garages is like hitting my head against a wall.

Last edited by Shannos; 25 Aug 2016 at 02:34 pm.
Old 25 Aug 2016, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating Help

Does it overheat at high speeds as well as low speeds?

Was a coolant compression check done to make sure there is no leaks in the coolant system? Are you loosing coolant? If so where is it going?

Has the radiator cap been checked? If the radiator cap is not working properly your engine coolant might be boiling at a lower point due to lower engine coolant pressure.

Anytime the engine is overheated the thermostat might have been damaged and not working properly. You need to check and make sure its working properly.

Is there air getting into the coolant system?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Aug 2016 at 02:57 pm.
Old 25 Aug 2016, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it overheats at high speed.
Coolant system was pressure checked and no less were found.
Rad cap looks fine and holds pressure.
Checked thermostat and there wasn't even one in it but it now ha a new one in but still overheated.
I don't see any air getting in to the coolant system bcant be 100% sure
Old 25 Aug 2016, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannos View Post
Yes it overheats at high speed.
Coolant system was pressure checked and no less were found.
Rad cap looks fine and holds pressure.
Checked thermostat and there wasn't even one in it but it now ha a new one in but still overheated.
I don't see any air getting in to the coolant system bcant be 100% sure
I would suggest checking for restrictions in the radiator. Also check to see if there is a difference in temperature between the upper and lower hose. Has the radiator been replaced?
Old 25 Aug 2016, 06:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't think the rad has been changed as I have all the service history and there is no mention of it.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok the rad and fan have been replaced today and I checked the fan before installing and both speeds work.
It's getting to halfway but I can't get it to get any hotter to check the fan will come in but hopefully it will be a hotter day tomorrow so that may help.
The display is still showing error 1489, 1490 and 0645 as is the engine warning light so do I have to clear these codes by disconnecting the battery for 10 mins and then once reconnected hopefully they will be gone or will I need to do some investigation in to the relays though I have swapped them with the horn one and it worked on all relays.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannos View Post
Ok the rad and fan have been replaced today and I checked the fan before installing and both speeds work.
It's getting to halfway but I can't get it to get any hotter to check the fan will come in but hopefully it will be a hotter day tomorrow so that may help.
The display is still showing error 1489, 1490 and 0645 as is the engine warning light so do I have to clear these codes by disconnecting the battery for 10 mins and then once reconnected hopefully they will be gone or will I need to do some investigation in to the relays though I have swapped them with the horn one and it worked on all relays.
You need an OBDII Scan tool to reset the codes. Taking the battery cables off will not remove the codes that are stored.