PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Whining Noise, Damp Bolts by Radiator and A/C Valve and Unknown "Drainage" hole?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2016, 01:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Whining Noise, Damp Bolts by Radiator and A/C Valve and Unknown "Drainage" hole?

In this first image, I was just wondering what this is lol... how to clean it properly and some dirt and gunk has falling in and will it be ok? I suspected it is just a drain for the windshield water from rain fall to wash away and drain out the body towards the bottom.

In these next two images, I noticed the entire engine is dry but these two area are wet. This image you can clearly see where it is wet, near the radiator cap.

Now in this image it's harder to tell but the obvious black bolt there and that assembly is wet. I don't see any obvious leakage but an occasional (5 minutes or so) drip from it.

Lastly I am hearing a slight whining noise when accelerating that makes me think it may be a belt, thinking it might be the timing belt. Way too difficult a task for me to do but just wondering if there would be any peculiar behavior associated with a bad timing belt. The whining doesn't always happen, seems to be only when accelerating and noticeably dies down when coming to a slow stop.

I know this is a lot to ask in just one thread but I didn't think adding a bunch of entries was a good idea either.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 05:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Whining Noise, Damp Bolts by Radiator and A/C Valve and Unknown "Drainage" hole?

First pic: Drainage slot and holes. it drains water from the cowl down into the area of the cabin filter. The whole cowl can be taken off relatively easy and the area underneath cleaned out.

Second pic: Thermostat housing. It's plastic and it tend to split or break and let coolant seep out in that are.

Third pic: Not sure what is in that area that would cause a leak. It's right under the cruise control but around the area where the fuel line is. Can you tell what the wetness is? Water or maybe fuel?

Whinning: The timing belt usually doesn't give off any noise and the tensioner should keep it tight enough so it wouldn't whine. The alternator belt, on the other hand, is only held tight but adjusting the alternator itself and can work it's way loose or the belt itself could stretch and stat to whine. That's the most likely source of your noise.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Whining Noise, Damp Bolts by Radiator and A/C Valve and Unknown "Drainage" hole?

Alternator belt sounds right because we DID just replace the alternator not too long ago. I don't think the serpentine belts have been replaced either. It's at about 95K miles so I feel that's something that would be ok to replace even if they look alright. I wish I had a lift for my vehicle so I could just do this one myself but I'll take it to the garage and let the "professionals" handle it lol. I wonder if cleaning the cowl would make it so that the A/C works when idle, like stopped at red lights and such. That's the only other issue I am actually having with this PT. Whenever we are idle for more than a couple minutes with the A/C on, the car shudders pretty hard and then the A/C doesn't blow cold air anymore. When we start moving we get a smaller shudder and it starts blowing cold again. I had the shop clean the idle air control valve and they said it wasn't really gunked up that bad. Any ideas on that one too CREWZIN?
Old 26 Aug 2016, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The A/C not working at idle or stop lights is almost certainly the radiator fan not working properly. When you drive there's enough air to keep things cool but when you low down or stop, the radiator fan has to be on so the compressor doesn't overheat. The fan is a major problem with most PT's.

Cleaning the cowl will have no affect on the A/C.