Advertisements
PCV Value relating to AC

Like Tree14Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2016, 07:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Default PCV Value relating to AC

Can anyone tell me how if a leaking PCV valve affects the AC on my 2001 Cruiser?

Thanks
Old 26 Aug 2016, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PCV Value relating to AC

indirectly maybe...... directly it doesn't and vice versa..... directly maybe ...... indirectly it does

PCV= positive crankcase ventilation
AC=Air conditioning

Try explaining a little more details about your problem
thecabinguy likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Aug 2016 at 08:55 pm. Reason: choosing the right emocon
Old 27 Aug 2016, 04:42 am
Young Cruiser

AC was not working. Had the system purged then checked using dye. Mechanic says the PCV and PCV hose were leaking - which was repaired. The AC now works fine.

I'm scratching my head on this one.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 08:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'm not an ASE Certified Master Mechanic like Nitro, but that sure as hell makes NO SENSE at all to me either. NitroPT, can you explain this one to a dumbass like me?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGlosta View Post
AC was not working. Had the system purged then checked using dye. Mechanic says the PCV and PCV hose were leaking - which was repaired. The AC now works fine.

The way I interpret what you wrote, is that you had the A/C system purged, then recharged with dye included. The recharge is why your A/C now works.
rckstein and VOS like this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Aug 2016, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Problem solved!

Why, sounds like the PCV hose was a separate unrelated problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I'm not an ASE Certified Master Mechanic like Nitro, but that sure as hell makes NO SENSE at all to me either. NitroPT, can you explain this one to a dumbass like me?

Charlie ,ha...first you are a pretty smart guy ...you baited my return to this thread.

AC not working, I suspect that MikeGlosta may have been low on pressure caused by low Freon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
The way I interpret what you wrote, is that you had the A/C system purged, then recharged with dye included. The recharge is why your A/C now works.
exactly
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Aug 2016 at 10:38 am.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 10:48 am
Banned

Quote:

The last time my PT had a tuneup, they found the PCV hose was cracked where it connects to the PCV valve, therefore causing a leak. From the heat over time, the rubber hose can get hard and brittle and crack, and I had not noticed it. Of course they had to replace it to continue with the tuneup which cost more from the shop than if I replaced it myself, but they wouldn't allow me to do that.

My point being, that any observant mechanic, one not working with blinders on, should be looking around at other things while they are working and may notice other items that may need to be addressed. In the case of your work, your tech may have just discovered the PCV and line while he was working on the a/c.

Last edited by rckstein; 27 Aug 2016 at 04:03 pm.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 11:59 am
Young Cruiser

Makes sense to me - completely unrelated issues but thought I'd check any way. If I got this right it seems the only way to get the AC working again was a complete purge and recharge. Detecting the PCV and hose leak was icing on the cake or, in this case, money in the bank for the mechanic. But I wouldn't begrudge him - he got the car running to where I wanted.

Thanks for the help and suggestions . . .

By the way, what asylum do you all have a lifetime membership in? I might want to join.
rckstein likes this.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Makes sense to me - completely unrelated issues but thought I'd check any way. If I got this right it seems the only way to get the AC working again was a complete purge and recharge. Detecting the PCV and hose leak was icing on the cake or, in this case, money in the bank for the mechanic. But I wouldn't begrudge him - he got the car running to where I wanted.

By the way, what asylum do you all have a lifetime membership in? I might want to join.
You already belong...
rckstein likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Aug 2016, 04:05 pm
Banned

Quote:

This sentence may seem out of place now and other members may not get it because the thead has been revised to remove some offending posts, but nonetheless, there may still be some open rooms at a facility near you!

Thank you CREWZIN
Closed Thread

Tags
air conditioner, pcv valve