Advertisements
2006 PT 2.4 base

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2016, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT 2.4 base

am new to this site but need some help just put new transmission solenoid
on my car and cant get the gasket to seal right new part and gasket but still leaks cleaned both side old gasket cleaned off tried everything but still leaks
not sure what is the problem pls help
Old 29 Aug 2016, 04:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT 2.4 base

Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, please go to the new members section and tell us some about yourself and more about your PT.

Sorry, I haven't had to mess with my trans solenoid so I don't have an answer for your question.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 29 Aug 2016, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1957 View Post
am new to this site but need some help just put new transmission solenoid
on my car and cant get the gasket to seal right new part and gasket but still leaks cleaned both side old gasket cleaned off tried everything but still leaks
not sure what is the problem pls help
Welcome to the forum. Do you mean that you tried BOTH the new gasket and the old gasket and it still leaks? Are you using the correct torque on the attachment bolts?

Old thread on solenoid leaking: transmission control solenoid leak/gasket

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 Aug 2016 at 06:39 pm.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 07:15 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum

Chuzz replaced the solenoid pack on his not too long ago, maybe he will see this thread and chime in.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 10:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking to make sure the new solenoid pack matches the old one. Also check and compare the new gasket with the old one.
If that is okay make sure the new Solenoid Pack has a flat surface with no high spots and no burrs. Make sure it not warped.
If that is okay make sure the new solenoid pack is not hitting something underneath when you are putting it in not allowing it to tighten properly.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Aug 2016 at 10:16 pm.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 06:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

Yeah, I had to replace mine not too long ago due to a fracture in the lower front cover. You need to make sure the threads on the 3 long bolts are clean as well as the holes. If you're satisfied that they are, it sounds like you most likely are not getting it properly seated. There are a couple of little "knobs" on the solenoid pack that have to align properly on the mounting surface. Once you get it set right, try to move it side to side. If it's seated properly, you'll get minimal movement. Then go ahead and put the bolts in. I had to do mine a couple of times in order to get it right. And make sure you tighten the bolts. Don't pussy foot around with them. I don't know the proper torque, but I cinched them down as tight as I could before I thought they might break. Start with the center one, then the right one and then the left one. That's looking straight down at it. As long as you haven't torn the gasket, you can do this several times. You didn't take the front cover off did you? If so, that damned rubber gasket under the plate is nearly impossible to get to seal again. As long as you get the solenoid pack in the right position and TIGHT, there's no reason it should leak. Are you sure it's not one of the transmission lines? I had to remove both of the brass connectors on mine in order to get the solenoid out. Make sure they're both tight too. The spring hose clamps may loose their tension and maybe you should just put some screw clamps on them. And make sure neither hose is split at the end. If so, you should have enough slack to cut some off and reattach them. That's all I can suggest other than making sure neither sensor is leaking around the O-ring.
Fk5 and VsandFords like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for all the replys and yes I checked all of those things except those little knobs sticking up on the old solenoid the new one does not stick up I assume they are for the gasket to hold on to but mine are not sticking out can I still use the part or do they have to stick out ? and the solenoid holes and gasket match up perfect except for those knob things
Old 30 Aug 2016, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Aug 2016, 06:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1957 View Post
thanks for all the replys and yes I checked all of those things except those little knobs sticking up on the old solenoid the new one does not stick up I assume they are for the gasket to hold on to but mine are not sticking out can I still use the part or do they have to stick out ? and the solenoid holes and gasket match up perfect except for those knob things
Maybe the second gen doesn't have them? IDK. BUT, I thought the solenoids were the same on both generations. I'm probably wrong. Where did you get the new one? Based on what I find on the O'Reilly page, they all take the same one. I'm going to go look at my old one right quick and see if the "knobs" are on it. Well, for some reason, I can't get my damned pictures to load. Anyway, I DID go out and take pics just to verify the three "knobs" They actually look like small sleeves that fit into the bottom of the holes where the bolts go through. They stick out about 1/8" from the body of the pack. They keep it in place so when you put the bolts in, it'll stay in place for you. Did you keep the old one, or was there a core charge on it? I wouldn't think so, but you never know. I got mine at the salvage yard for twenty bucks!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 07:10 pm
Banned

This is from my Gen2 Service Manual, and though it's not a very clear pic, but it appears to be the same design as what CREWZIN has posted: