Advertisements
2003 Base with a rough idle

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2016, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 Base with a rough idle

I just bought a 2003 PT cruiser base / NA with a stick, 180k. Guy I bought it from told me it had a rough idle. And yup, it sure does. He told me he put new plugs in, and someone replaced the motor. Other than that I have no history on it.

It starts fine. For the first 20 seconds or so it idles fine, a bit high, but no surging / loping. Then it idles down and starts to surge / chug. If you touch the throttle just a bit, the engine smooths right out and will rev (a bit higher than anticipated) but it runs smooth. As it idles back down (comes down slowly) it will start to chug again. It almost sounds like a miss.

I pulled the plugs, they look like they are new and in good / uniform shape. No tracking on them. I replaced the coil pack, even though all 4 plugs had spark (junk yard coil pack). I replaced the wires (junk yard wires). I replaced the cam sensor with several different junk yard CPSs. I checked compression, and all 4 were very good and close to one another. I have listened intently for vacuum leaks. I have replaced the TPS (junk yard). If i disconnect the MAP while running, the engine coughs, faulters and dies.

I pulled the codes, and here's what I have:
0108 - MAP sensor high voltage
0551 - P/S switch
1193 - air inlet temp voltage wrong
1684 - battery disconnected w/in 50 starts

If you drive the car, when you let off the throttle to shift, the RPMs barely drop (like the engine is still reving / coming down slowly in RPMs)

What am I missing here???
Old 29 Aug 2016, 07:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 Base with a rough idle

Because Trump
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 08:02 pm.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the vacuum hose going to the MAP Sensor for leaks. Visually look at the hoses for cracks and tight fittings.
If hose is good check the wiring going to the MAP sensor and the sensor itself is working properly. Check the MAP sensor wires going to the PCM.
What is the engine vacuum reading at an idle?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Aug 2016 at 09:41 pm.
Old 01 Sep 2016, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I bought my 2002 PT Cruiser (Base 5 speed) back in October 2002 in Kalifornia as a lemon law car for rough idle. Already had 11K on the clock. It had an obvious lean idle condition that didn't really bother me and I've never addressed it until now. It has NEVER thrown a code for anything. I recently saw a YouTube video on the subject were he sprayed water on the lower intake at the head and it changed the idle. Tried it on mine and sure enough that's where my problem lies. Verified with propane enrichment. Just got my order from Rock Auto a few minutes ago. New Fel-Pro intake gaskets, injector seals, spark plugs and PCV hose. I also have new mounts on the way. Boy, NOTHING rubber or plastic lasts in the Arizona heat! I've already had to replace all the shifter cable bushings with Torque Solution brand bushings. Clear coat is burning off, dash is heat cracked etc. Only 47K on the odometer too. (I had a company car for 6 years and try to ride the motorcycle as much as possible.) I love this little car and have no intentions of getting rid of it anytime soon. I took the back seats out and it's used more as a pick up truck than a car now. It's finally cooling down a few degrees here but I'm going to give it another 2-3 weeks before I pop the hood and start replacing all the stuff the car has been begging for for the last several years.....I'm hoping for a nice smooth idle after the last 14 years of not so smooth. If it isn't cured it's no biggie. I've already lived with it this long.......

Joe
Old 01 Sep 2016, 01:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum, Joe. I have a very good friend that just retired from Vanderbilt Hospital and is currently working on selling her farm. Once she gets it sold, she said she's moving to AZ. She's tired of mowing grass and especially the humidity of the Tennessee summers. If I had the money, I'd buy her farm and move BACK to Tennessee. I hate Florida.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Sep 2016, 02:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Welcome to the forum, Joe. I have a very good friend that just retired from Vanderbilt Hospital and is currently working on selling her farm. Once she gets it sold, she said she's moving to AZ. She's tired of mowing grass and especially the humidity of the Tennessee summers. If I had the money, I'd buy her farm and move BACK to Tennessee. I hate Florida.
If she moves here during the monsoon season she's in for a rude awakening. Humidity (for Arizona) can be oppressive when coupled with the crazy high temps. I was born in San Diego then spent years 6-14 in Albany Georgia. Even spent two years on Guam while in the Navy. You'd think I'd be OK with humidity. Not so. "It's a dry heat" is 100% B.S. during monsoon season. Happily, monsoon season drives all the "snow birds" back to Minnesota etc. though. Thank God! Snow birds are the WORST drivers on the planet! I will NOT ride the motorcycle while they're here in the winter months. Too many near misses with those lunatics. I want to live.......

After monsoon season is over I just can't think of a better place to live though. If I won the lottery tonight I'd still stay in Arizona! Every sunrise and sunset is awe inspiring. I may move a bit north to Payson or Prescott etc. where it's a little cooler but I'd definitely stay in state. The wildlife here is amazing as well. At work I have a family of Roadrunners AND skunks that are almost pets. I hand feed the roadrunners crickets. The skunks I just watch from 10-15 feet away LOL.......

Joe
Old 01 Sep 2016, 06:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

She's actually eyeballing the Phoenix area. I spent a few weeks in Albuquerque, NM back in 1978 and loved the climate. I was near the Sandia Mountains.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Sep 2016, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
She's actually eyeballing the Phoenix area.
Show her this picture from mid June. The temp sensor is in my covered patio and doesn't get any direct sunlight. That was the AIR temp. It was absolutely brutal for a few weeks straight. We put up with it though because the rest of the year is so nice. Monsoon season is almost over and temps are only in the low 100's so it'll be really nice in a few weeks.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-19-16 HOT!.jpg (86.1 KB, 14 views)