PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power bogs down

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2016, 10:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Power bogs down

When I turn on the ac, I seem to lose power on my '05 base convertible. I know the ac draws more power, but does anyone else see it so drastically? I'm wondering if I have a charging issue.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power bogs down

When you say "low power", do you mean that the engine slows down from idle or that the lights dim as though you were draining electrical power?
Old 30 Aug 2016, 10:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Yes and yes
Old 30 Aug 2016, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Because of your last response....^^^^^ answer

You first and foremost should get your Battery load tested before using your AC, driving at night or planning any long driving trips.

Once you have done that then come back on this thread and report

Doing anything other then that 1st is a waste of your and members time to help you.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Aug 2016, 11:04 am
Regular Cruiser

"waste of your and members time to help you" Really? Most people come to forums like this for answers to problems they can't solve or they are uneducated on the subject.
Your response: "You first and foremost should get your Battery load tested before using your AC, driving at night or planning any long driving trips." is a good place to start, but I hardly think my question is a waste of members time. For your information, I know to check these things, but found numerous threads on this forum pertaining to the same issue but were left unresolved. I am curious if this is a known problem on cars like ours or isolated incidents just needing simple diagnostics or repairs.
If this thread is a waste of your time, feel free to help someone else, as I will not get my feelings hurt if you don't stop back by.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I did help you.

The answer I gave is to save a lot of wasted time asking questions that should first know that the condition of your battery is good.

If you were to take it to any quality auto shop this would be the first thing they would test.

So again I suggest that you first get your battery load tested and recommend NOT to continue to use your AC or other high amp draw components light head lights until you do.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Aug 2016 at 11:16 am.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 11:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am suggesting the radiator fan might be drawing excessive current and pulling the battery voltage down when you turn on the air conditioning. When you turn on the air conditioning on the PCM automatically turns on the radiator fan if it is not on already.

As NitroPt suggests do the battery load test first as the battery and charging system needs to be good to handle the normal current from the radiator fan. Make sure they input the correct amps the battery is suppose to handle.

Is the idle rough when you turn on the air conditioning?
sirchris likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 30 Aug 2016 at 11:27 am.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 11:28 am
Regular Cruiser

I agree the battery needs to be tested. I don't believe the thread is a waste of time.
ptcruisersteve I don't recall having a rough idle when it is on. I'll check it when I get off work to verify it.
I haven't used it in a couple of days, so the details are fuzzy right now (and I haven't been looking for any specifics), but when the ac is turned on, the engine acts like a load (from the compressor) and honestly now I'm trying to remember whether the lights dim or not
Old 30 Aug 2016, 11:29 am
Cool Cruiser

I believe he's simply trying to express that a question like that could lead to pages and pages of people guessing, so in order to avoid that, you can go to a local parts store, and get a very quick and free test of your battery done, and then move forward from there. I think you'll find Nitro to be one of the most experienced and helpful people on the forum. There are others like him as well. I'm sure he'd be happy to help you if it turns out your battery is good. He's simply saying anything else would be guessing.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 11:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtPt05 View Post
I believe he's simply trying to express that a question like that could lead to pages and pages of people guessing, so in order to avoid that, you can go to a local parts store, and get a very quick and free test of your battery done, and then move forward from there. I think you'll find Nitro to be one of the most experienced and helpful people on the forum. There are others like him as well. I'm sure he'd be happy to help you if it turns out your battery is good. He's simply saying anything else would be guessing.
I understand what you're saying, I understand his answer, and I appreciate any and all help. However, as I said, I found numerous threads on this forum claiming similar issues but were unresolved. No answer was ever given and the thread is incomplete. So maybe I need to rephrase my question.
Is there known electrical issues that would cause the car's power to bog down when the air conditioning is turned on? If not, obviously my initial move is to begin testing the battery and go from there. If there is a known problem, then that is something I need to look into as well.