Advertisements
cooling fan

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rsrocket1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2016, 02:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default cooling fan

Hi my cooling fan is not running and is causing my 2001 non turbo to over heat. I went directly from the fan to the battery and it will run on one speed, I think it was the yellow. I can't get the new fan until 9-8-16, so my question is can I temporarily go from the fan to the battery and then to a switch to manually operate the fan to keep it from over heating?
Old 31 Aug 2016, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: cooling fan

Is your high or low speed that is out on your radiator fan?
Old 31 Aug 2016, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On the 2001, if it's the yellow wire that makes the fan spin, it's the high speed. The green wire is for the low.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is yellow do it is high, does it matter if I want to use a direct connection with a switch ?
Old 31 Aug 2016, 05:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'd THINK you'd be okay for a week. Just remember to turn it off or it'll run your battery down!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecee54 View Post
It is yellow do it is high, does it matter if I want to use a direct connection with a switch ?
If your running the A/C and you stop for awhile, the low speed might not be able to supply enough air to keep the compressor cool.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you only have the low speed working on your radiator fan keep a constant eye on the engine temp gauge as the high speed fan is the one that kicks in to keep it from overheating if the low speed is not able to.

Having only the low speed radiator fan going might be risky if you are in a traffic jam.
Old 01 Sep 2016, 07:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Hi my cooling fan is not running and is causing my 2001 non turbo to over heat. I went directly from the fan to the battery and it will run on one speed, I think it was the yellow
I think he means it only runs on high speed. Putting a switch on that wire to force the high speed fan on all the time (while the car is running). It works fine while you wait for the fan to arrive. I did that with mine.

Be sure the switch is a high current switch that can handle at least 15-20 Amps. Something like this switch will work, it handles 20 Amps. I used it on my 09 for the fix. However, the next day I changed the wiring to make the switch activate the relay instead of powering the fan directly, that way I only needed one wire running from the fan to the passenger compartment and the wire only needed to carry 1 amp instead of more than 12A. Here's the schematic if you care to do it, but just running 12 gauge wire to power the fan directly is the easiest.

The fan is very easy to replace, just 6 bolts to remove. The side bolts are easiest to remove from the bottom of the car.
Fk5 and Carnut like this.
Old 01 Sep 2016, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
I think he means it only runs on high speed. Putting a switch on that wire to force the high speed fan on all the time (while the car is running). It works fine while you wait for the fan to arrive. I did that with mine.

Be sure the switch is a high current switch that can handle at least 15-20 Amps. Something like this switch will work, it handles 20 Amps. I used it on my 09 for the fix. However, the next day I changed the wiring to make the switch activate the relay instead of powering the fan directly, that way I only needed one wire running from the fan to the passenger compartment and the wire only needed to carry 1 amp instead of more than 12A. Here's the schematic if you care to do it, but just running 12 gauge wire to power the fan directly is the easiest.

The fan is very easy to replace, just 6 bolts to remove. The side bolts are easiest to remove from the bottom of the car.
Usually the high speed is the one that goes out so we will have to verify if it is the high speed or low speed that went out.