PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error codes, going in to limp mode...

 
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Sep 2016, 05:02 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Bend Indiana
Posts: 76
Default Error codes, going in to limp mode...

Hello all.

I have a 2004 Turbo (non GT) automatic with 90k miles.

About 6 months ago I started getting error codes. O2 Bank 1 voltage high, voltage low. Car would run fine. I cleared the codes. (don't remember the exact codes, but now it's really messing up. I was on the high way and it went in to Limp mode. I had fun getting home. I did not have a reader with me but I pulled the battery cable for a few hours and it reset and drive fine for about a week then did it again. I had a reader with me this time.

I got codes:
p0032

p0038

p0172

p0201

p0202


p0203

p0204

It will go in to limp mode almost immediately now. I am thinking PCM? What do you guys think. I hate to throw dollar bills at this thing with out some advice.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Sep 2016, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: Error codes, going in to limp mode...

The error code P0172 might just be the main problem. If your running a rich mixture it could affect the injectors (codes 201 thru 204) and your 02 sensors (codes 32 and 38).

This is from PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

You will need a (DRB) scan tool to clear the battery fault code, it won't clear itself.

Fault code P0172-Fuel System 1/1 Rich will require a good deal more work to pinpoint the problem. The powertrain diagnostic manual lists possible causes as: Good Trip Equal To Zero, O2 Sensor Heater Operation, O2 Sensor, EVAP Purge Solenoid Operation, O2 Signal Circuit, O2 Return Circuit, MAP Sensor Operation, ECT Sensor Operation, Engine Mechanical Problem, Fuel Filter/Pressure, Regulator and PCM. There are several pages of tests in the manual to help determine the cause of the O2 sensor reading overly rich for too long. You will need professional diagnostic tests with a scanner that can read and record the datastream to locate the cause of the fault. Please refrain from throwing parts at it in hopes of a cure. Diagnose the faulty circuit, and repair the cause.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 Sep 2016, 05:41 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 263
Default Re: Error codes, going in to limp mode...

When my PCM went bad, I was getting all kinds of random codes, seems like yours are all related to some degree...

Does anyone know if these would be all on a single harness plug at the PCM... bad connection possibly? People always say to check that, and it NEVER turns out to be that simple for me, maybe your luck is better. Hint: be very careful using the plastic locking clips on the harness plugs at the PCM... if you break one, you'll be zip tying it on to the PCM, or replacing the harness, according to the dealer. I broke mine, figured it was a part that was available by the bag-full. Apparently I was wrong!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Sep 2016, 05:54 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Bend Indiana
Posts: 76
Default Re: Error codes, going in to limp mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtPt05 View Post
When my PCM went bad, I was getting all kinds of random codes, seems like yours are all related to some degree...

Does anyone know if these would be all on a single harness plug at the PCM... bad connection possibly? People always say to check that, and it NEVER turns out to be that simple for me, maybe your luck is better. Hint: be very careful using the plastic locking clips on the harness plugs at the PCM... if you break one, you'll be zip tying it on to the PCM, or replacing the harness, according to the dealer. I broke mine, figured it was a part that was available by the bag-full. Apparently I was wrong!
I looked over the O2 sensor wiring and it looks great. Not chewed on, burn or damaged. I thought about replacing the O2 sensors for good measure but, I hate to just toss money at it.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Sep 2016, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,298
Default Re: Error codes, going in to limp mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ly View Post
Hello all.

I have a 2004 Turbo (non GT) automatic with 90k miles.

About 6 months ago I started getting error codes. O2 Bank 1 voltage high, voltage low. Car would run fine. I cleared the codes. (don't remember the exact codes, but now it's really messing up. I was on the high way and it went in to Limp mode. I had fun getting home. I did not have a reader with me but I pulled the battery cable for a few hours and it reset and drive fine for about a week then did it again. I had a reader with me this time.

I got codes:
p0032

p0038

p0172

p0201

p0202


p0203

p0204

It will go in to limp mode almost immediately now. I am thinking PCM? What do you guys think. I hate to throw dollar bills at this thing with out some advice.
I would first suggest you check the fuel pressure. It should be 58 +/-5 PSI.

If fuel pressure is good I would check to make sure the fuel injectors are getting 12 volts.

If you are not getting 12 volts to the fuel injectors check the ASD relay and ASD circuit.

If you are getting 12 volts to the fuel injectors check the Engine control module.
1911ly likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 01 Sep 2016 at 06:20 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Sep 2016, 07:20 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Bend Indiana
Posts: 76
Default Re: Error codes, going in to limp mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would first suggest you check the fuel pressure. It should be 58 +/-5 PSI.

If fuel pressure is good I would check to make sure the fuel injectors are getting 12 volts.

If you are not getting 12 volts to the fuel injectors check the ASD relay and ASD circuit.

If you are getting 12 volts to the fuel injectors check the Engine control module.
I can do that, I can easily check the voltage, I will have to bum the fuel pressure gauge. Autozone has a loaner tool program.

It's getting late tonight, I will look at it tomorrow.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02 Sep 2016, 10:48 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Bend Indiana
Posts: 76
Default Re: Error codes, going in to limp mode...

This afternoon it started and ran fine. I drove it for 20 or so miles without issue. I went ahead and cleared the stored codes when I got back. I will keep an eye on it until it messes up again. then check to see what they are.

I've been reading up on this and see that usually it turns out to be a bad PCM. if that is what it turns out to be can anyone recommend a good reputable rebuilder/seller? I see there are some sellers rebuilders on Ebay that will flash it for the VIN and mileage too. Anyone have any luck with anyone in particular?

I did find a Youtube video with a lot of info and tips on the usual PCM problems. it looks like solder issues. I am tempted to take it apart. I have a electronics back ground. I do specialist in surface mount technology repair. I have done a lot of it and have all the special equipment. Worst thing happens I loose the core charge value. I can easily resolder the board. I've done potted boards too. Tempting. I do like a challenge. If I do decide to I will post pictures and any info I gleam from it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02 Sep 2016, 10:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,298
Default Re: Error codes, going in to limp mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ly View Post
This afternoon it started and ran fine. I drove it for 20 or so miles without issue. I went ahead and cleared the stored codes when I got back. I will keep an eye on it until it messes up again. then check to see what they are.

I've been reading up on this and see that usually it turns out to be a bad PCM. if that is what it turns out to be can anyone recommend a good reputable rebuilder/seller? I see there are some sellers rebuilders on Ebay that will flash it for the VIN and mileage too. Anyone have any luck with anyone in particular?

I did find a Youtube video with a lot of info and tips on the usual PCM problems. it looks like solder issues. I am tempted to take it apart. I have a electronics back ground. I do specialist in surface mount technology repair. I have done a lot of it and have all the special equipment. Worst thing happens I loose the core charge value. I can easily resolder the board. I've done potted boards too. Tempting. I do like a challenge. If I do decide to I will post pictures and any info I gleam from it.

Thanks.
Make sure you keep the original PCM until you verify that you fixed the problem if you buy a replacement PCM. You don't want to have more problems than what you started off with. I would recommend checking the other suggestions that I have made first before replacing the PCM.
1911ly likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Sep 2016 at 11:00 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02 Sep 2016, 11:19 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Bend Indiana
Posts: 76
Default Re: Error codes, going in to limp mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Make sure you keep the original PCM until you verify that you fixed the problem if you buy a replacement PCM. You don't want to have more problems than what you started off with. I would recommend checking the other suggestions that I have made first before replacing the PCM.
I will check for those issues. Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limp Mode....? CluelessKate Tech & Performance Forum 6 11 May 2016 11:51 am
P0700 and p0822 codes limp mode Ghostsamurai25 Tech & Performance Forum 15 25 Jul 2014 04:50 pm
Rigged Fuse Blew and Shot a P1681 error, Car in Limp mode matthewmilbut Tech & Performance Forum 6 28 Jun 2012 12:31 pm
Stuck in limp mode. Cleared some codes, but... SRT8guy General PT Cruiser Discussions 2 30 Jul 2010 07:15 am
Engine overheating, Stuck in "Limp mode" showing codes 0188,1490,&1495 Manny Tech & Performance Forum 4 08 Apr 2009 05:39 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors