PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 Limited with Stall/Acceleration issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2016, 05:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 Limited with Stall/Acceleration issue

Backstory:
I just snagged a 2002 Limited with only 52K for under a really, really good price. This is my 3rd Cruiser & I absolutely love the cars.

Anyway, while test driving said car everything was seeming fine. Shifting smoothly, good acceleration, no engine noise, all seemed great. Then I stopped at a light and the car stalled with no warning, service engine light came on, and it took a couple of tries to re-start the cruiser.

Got it back to the dealer and had them take it to the mechanic to check the issues. Hooked up to computer and codes (not shown to me) said compression and communication issue, so supposedly two sensors were changed and good to go. Drove again and no stalling issues, everything was running great.

I felt confident going ahead with the deal, still do ... But ....

On the way home, with the a/c on the car bucked during a heavy acceleration. Bucked 3 times and back to normal except the service engine light staying on. Drove it for 2 hours straight to home and no further issues. Reading through some other threads I'm thinking perhaps the camshaft sensor was an issue. Does that need time to "reset" after being changed?

I checked the error codes on the dash this morning and what I'm getting is P0352, Ignition Coil 2 Control Circuit. It also showed that the codes had been cleared within the last 50 ignitions (yeah, obviously, lol). Service engine light is off, drove it a bit today and what I'm noticing is a sluggish acceleration from a full stop, automatic transmission, upshifting seems normal once it's going. But just starting out or from a light it seems like the pickup just isn't what it should be. Even compared to my 01 Base.

So, do you think a full tune consisting of ignition coil, plugs and wires would be my best starting point at this time. The car doesn't seem to have been serviced at all in a while, so I know the basics are needed anyway. If you can't tell from my post I'm not personally mechanically inclined, but I have a shop that treats me right, I just like to go in armed.

This is going to be my baby for a while, so I'm hoping to get her treated right from the beginning. Without breaking the bank!

Thanks in advance, y'all!
Old 01 Sep 2016, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Limited with Stall/Acceleration issue

Personally, I'd start with the basics, as you said. Then you know what's new and won't need to be checked. Then see how it runs and go from there. To answer your question, no reset time on the Camshaft sensor. Once it's changed, it's good to go. Some, including myself, have had problems with the electrical connection to the camshaft sensor or the wiring harness that runs around back of the engine. Take a good look at those.

I picked up a bit of acceleration from a dead stop by going to a short ram air filter. Some don't like that because it draws in warm air from the engine but the only good thing I noticed was no more lag from a dead stop. You can try just a good clean regular air filter first.
Old 01 Sep 2016, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would first suggest checking the wire harness under the engine from the crankshaft sensor to the PCM. Make sure the wire harness did not come down and is rubbing on the axle or half shaft causing the wires to short to ground.

Suggest always keeping a record of the engine trouble codes that come up so we have a better idea of what the problem might be.
Old 02 Sep 2016, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, seems like I'm on the right path, then.
Thanks guys.

I always keep a record of any codes, but this was the used dealership's mechanic and he was making it difficult to get any information of course. But, yeah, I keep detailed records on maintenance and everything.
Old 02 Sep 2016, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Alright, update ... spoke to the dealer mechanic today that did the "repairs" on Wednesday.

He states that he changed the CAM sensor and the oil pressure switch. The P0352 code seems to indicate crankshaft , NOT CAMshaft. They are two different sensors, correct?

Nothing with the wiring harness was loose that I could tell.

Question right now, I guess, is looking online I can find the Crankshaft Position Sensor for about $15. Is it worth it to purchase and have it installed while they're doing the tuneup to cover all bases, or just wait it out?

Thanks!
Old 02 Sep 2016, 08:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On the 2002 it's really easy to replace the crankshaft sensor yourself. It's right above the oil filter. Just have to get under the car and look up to where it's at.