PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Extremely low idle and doesn't want to start on first cycle

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2016, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Extremely low idle and doesn't want to start on first cycle

Hi, i have an 06' Pt with the 2.4L x vin. Here lately, the car has been idling at around 300 - 500 RPMs, and when i go to start it, it doesnt click or anything. It just doesn't start at all. I just tried starting it and had to cycle the key about 20 times before it started. I've wondered if it doesnt need a new PCM. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, have you done anything to fix it?
Old 05 Sep 2016, 04:46 pm
Banned

Default Re: Extremely low idle and doesn't want to start on first cycle

Welcome to the forum
Old 05 Sep 2016, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysen97 View Post
Hi, i have an 06' Pt with the 2.4L x vin. Here lately, the car has been idling at around 300 - 500 RPMs, and when i go to start it, it doesnt click or anything. It just doesn't start at all. I just tried starting it and had to cycle the key about 20 times before it started. I've wondered if it doesnt need a new PCM. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, have you done anything to fix it?
Welcome to the forum.

Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 05 Sep 2016 at 05:50 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2016, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Okay, we have low idling and starting problems. You may well have two issues. First thing to do is check for trouble codes with either a code reader or by doing the "key dance". Please do that and then report back so we can help.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiSca...s=obdII+reader

How to retrieve fault codes.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Sep 2016 at 05:36 pm.
Old 06 Sep 2016, 07:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. Currently the engine light isn't on, but the first time it was on, we had a code for TPS and PCM. We took it to the car dealer we got it from and we are pretty sure they just replaced the TPS and cleared codes. After about 4 or 5 months, we had to replace ome of the coolong fan relays, and the TPS AGAIN, and it caused a cooling fan circuit relay 2 code a second time with a brand new one. Replaced the TPS, and all codes went away, but we are having our current issues. Hopefully that helps
Old 06 Sep 2016, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If me, I'd start with what's cheap and easy and work my way up from there.

Chances are, you haven't really had multiple TPS failures. I'd guess it was something related that is throwing that code. I'd start by inspecting the wiring harness. I'd look for any signs of broken or worn insulation on any wires running to the throttle body and related sensors. I'd unplug them, clean the ends, inspect them and then plug them back in.

If no joy, I'd remove the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve and clean it. I'd assure the plunger wasn't stuck. A stuck IAC valve could give you the exact idle and hard starting problem you have. I would also likely remove the entire the throttle body and the same time and clean it very well with carb cleaner. I'd likely also remove the four plugs from the PCM and clean them well with electrical cleaner. I'd look for oil in the second plug from the passenger side. If oily, I'd change the oil sending unit that has likely pushed oil up through the harness to the PCM plug. Then I'd reinstall and see what happens.

If no joy, I'd start looking for vacuum leaks. With the engine running I'd carefully spray some starting fluid around the intake manifold and see if it effect the idle. If it does, it likely indicates a leak.

I would also take my code reader and clear any trouble codes I already have and then see if any show back up while running the engine.

PS: The periodic issue of the starter not turning may only be related by cause and effect. If you have to crank on the engine a lot to get it started, the battery cable ends can heat up and sometimes lose connection. Cleaning the ends may remedy this. It's worth a try anyway. Another cause could be a failing starter relay that got overworked from all the hard-to-start cranking.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Sep 2016 at 08:30 am.
Old 06 Sep 2016, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
You might have two separate problems.

First thing I would suggest is to check your battery cable connections. Make sure they are making good contacts. Then I would take the PT Cruiser to an auto parts store that can do a battery load test. This will check to make sure your battery and battery charging system is okay. Make sure they input the correct battery amps that the battery is suppose to handle in the battery load tester.

If the battery and battery charging system is working properly I would suggest checking the ignition actuator and see if the working properly.

Does it only do the no crank no start when the engine is hot?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Sep 2016 at 09:27 am.
Old 06 Sep 2016, 09:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Try reading a little more about problems with your PT Cruiser on the forum. Or for that matter look up on the internet general starting issues. You question is not necessarily PT Cruiser related.On this forum, you may find almost anything and everything that can happen to them has already been talked about. That is if you try doing a little research on threads already available?

PT problems read this FIRST
thecabinguy likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Sep 2016 at 09:33 am.
Old 06 Sep 2016, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
You might have two separate problems.

First thing I would suggest is to check your battery cable connections. Make sure they are making good contacts. Then I would take the PT Cruiser to an auto parts store that can do a battery load test. This will check to make sure your battery and battery charging system is okay. Make sure they input the correct battery amps that the battery is suppose to handle in the battery load tester.

If the battery and battery charging system is working properly I would suggest checking the ignition actuator and see if the working properly.

Does it only do the no crank no start when the engine is hot?
It does the no crank at random, hot or cold. The charging system has been checked and is doing fine, as for removing PCM plugs, i done it before and none of them were dirty, and ive checked harnesses and sensors. I've suspected that the TPS isn't going bad, but if i dont replace it, i cant drive the car without it trying to shut cruise control off on its own or make the car lose power going down the road. I have also checked for vacuum leaks and still cant find the cause. With everything going on and everything I've tried, im starting to really thinky PCM needs replaced. I found under the hood on a sticker that said it was reprogrammed in 2008 once.
Old 06 Sep 2016, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is NOTHING you have supplied any * information that would conclude any problem with your PCM! *YET!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN