PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
trans leaks still 4 attempts to fix

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2016, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default trans leaks still 4 attempts to fix

Hi, I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for so ill ask instead xD

Our 04 PT cruiser Touring started leaking from the rear of the trans pan and gasket so we replaced the gasket and first and it continued to leak so I went with a brand new pan and gasket followed with a good scrape and cleaning with brake parts cleaner and the thing still leaked so for the 3rd attempt I removed the gasket all together and went with what was recommended by many black RTV and no gasket, it still leaked but not as bad so on the new pan I sanded down the painted part of the pan where the gasket needs to sit so it is metal against metal with the RTV in the place of the gasket and the leak continues funny thing was I needed a crowbar to pop the pan because the RTV sealed it like it was the end of the world!

We went to the Ultra Grey in place of the RTV black and another type of gasket which is almost like a spongy paper but it is leaking even worse then when all this even started so now I have no idea why this thing is leaking, I can't find any cracks or other leaks in the trans and I have a UV flashlight that makes the trans oil very noticeable and it is only the very back of the pan the back 5 bolts or so that I can see the fluid, what else should we be looking for?

Last edited by dvrocc73; 08 Sep 2016 at 04:28 pm.
Old 08 Sep 2016, 03:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: trans leaks still 4 attempts to fix

How long are you letting the RTV set before installing the pan? I use Gray RTV with a rubber gasket that comes with the filter kit I get from O'Reilly. I clean all of the old crap off the pan and then lightly sand it. I put the RTV on as a thin coat and let it sit for 15-20 minutes then put the gasket on and install the pan. I see you said you cleaned everything with brake fluid? I use brake parts cleaner and then wipe it all down with a shop towel before installing the pan. You have to be careful not to over torque the pan bolts too. I use a cris cross pattern. I start on one corner, then go diagonally across to the other and alternate. One bolt directly across from each other and then go around the pan in a full circle for final torque. I don't remember what the torque is, but it's in INCH POUNDS, not foot pounds. Check the pan for stretched holes where you may have over torqued it and dimpled them. You can tap them back out by using a ball peen hammer and an anvil or some other type hard surface. I don't have an anvil, but use my bench vise.
Carnut likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 08 Sep 2016, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Then you are missing something that is damaged?

The 2 surfaces are pretty straight forward as far as R&R pan from transmission and both are flat surfaces the transmission case a machine flat surface.

Because you used a NEW pan than and all the sealing attempts which should have solved the leak the first time I suggest that you have damage that is being over looked.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Sep 2016, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
How long are you letting the RTV set before installing the pan? I use Gray RTV with a rubber gasket that comes with the filter kit I get from O'Reilly. I clean all of the old crap off the pan and then lightly sand it. I put the RTV on as a thin coat and let it sit for 15-20 minutes then put the gasket on and install the pan. I see you said you cleaned everything with brake fluid? I use brake parts cleaner and then wipe it all down with a shop towel before installing the pan. You have to be careful not to over torque the pan bolts too. I use a cris cross pattern. I start on one corner, then go diagonally across to the other and alternate. One bolt directly across from each other and then go around the pan in a full circle for final torque. I don't remember what the torque is, but it's in INCH POUNDS, not foot pounds. Check the pan for stretched holes where you may have over torqued it and dimpled them. You can tap them back out by using a ball peen hammer and an anvil or some other type hard surface. I don't have an anvil, but use my bench vise.
er I meant brake parts cleaner I fixed that in the OP, Also I tried not to over torque the bolts because they are in the aluminum trans and I did sand the trans surface twice followed up by three good cleaning to remove the old gasket that came off in chucks. we will be working on this again starting today and I will follow up with some pictures.
Old 08 Sep 2016, 04:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

When you apply the sealant make sure you ring each hole with sealant or at least toward the inside edge of the pan.

I just did my replacement tranny on my 07 , I installed it immediately after I applied the sealant and no leaks....

Better luck next time
Sometimes it easy to overlook the obvious when we do this all the time, it comes naturally.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 08 Sep 2016, 05:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Could be the gasket leaking on the trans control solonides in the front
Will leak an run down the pan on the side closest to the engine
Will look as if pan is leaking (went through the same thing on one i repaird)
JoeX likes this.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update:

Let the pan drain over night and got to remove the pan about a w hours ago and discovered that the Felpro gasket from auto zone is a paper type that was working like a sponge, it feels try to the touch but when you squeeze it with your fingers it is loaded with trans fluid and even the pressure from the pan bolts wasn't enough to keep the fluid from sneaking past it because the lowest end of the pan has trans fluid 100% submerged at all times and I think that was a bad design by Chrysler and seeing how tons of complaints on the web about it.

Our Solution:
My father and I decided to leave the gasket out all together and go with the RTV Ultra Grey and give the pan and a the trans surface a mega dose hella thick and oozing from the sides when we slap those together and hopefully see how it goes Saturday morning when we let it dry overnight with the drain plug & dipstick trans out so it can breath because 5 times is enough.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 06:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yeah, I sure hope you don't get excess falling off in the pan and clogging your filter. Then you're really screwed. You may as well unload it on someone else if you fix the leak like that. Otherwise, you'll probably be letting us know that the transmission is having shift problems in the future. Gray RTV and the rubber gasket worked just fine for me. I don't buy anything from Autozone unless it's a last resort.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 09:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I can tell you I have seen people say that brake clean can cause the arc to fail. You also need to make sure the rtv is for transmission fluid. Some aren't.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Sep 2016, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I guess I wont say what FEL-PRO says about one of the responses and their gaskets.
It helps to read the instruction from them and not assume that even a simple repair does not require reading HOW-TO's?
Call'um up if you better explanation and installation suggestions!

Also it is NOT a design problem with the transmission A604/41TE that is used on MANY other platforms and Chrysler model vehicles.

For the OP good luck with your 4th or 5th attempt at sealing your transmission pan.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN