Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Loss of Power/Smoking/No Codes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2016, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Loss of Power/Smoking/No Codes?

I've got a 2003 Dream Cruiser 2.4 Turbo and i'm completely baffled?

Shortly after I bought this car last year I started having minor problems with it.

Getting on the Freeway and getting up to speed it would start to bog down, ping, lose power and blow lots of dark smoke. After backing off the peddle it would clear up and be ok as long as I wasn't trying to pass anyone.

It has now got to the point where I have to baby the gas pedal just taking off from a stop sign or it will dump a ton of dark smoke from the tail pipe. There is no power whats so ever as all it will do is ping the more you step on the gas and dump more smoke.

As long as you keep a light pedal it will not smoke at all however around 40 mph the pinging will start and loss of power regardless of using a light pedal.

It does not overheat, and does not produce any codes or warning lights on the dash. I even had a friend hook up his code reader and nothing. I have replaced spark plugs, plug wires, oil/filter,flushed the cooling system and it has around 130,000 on it

Someone told me it could be a seal on the Turbo or a bad catalytic converter but neither are mechanics and neither am I even though I tinker with classic cars.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be happening would be highly appreciated.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 04:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Loss of Power/Smoking/No Codes?

Have you replaced the PCV valve..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Sep 2016, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Have you replaced the PCV valve..??
I haven't and since I've only had the car about a year, I don't know if it has been replaced in the past.

Do you think that would be causing the symptoms I'm having?
Old 11 Sep 2016, 07:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoPT View Post
I haven't and since I've only had the car about a year, I don't know if it has been replaced in the past.

Do you think that would be causing the symptoms I'm having?

It's very possible & probably the cheapest fix to start with.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 14 Sep 2016, 03:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

I pulled the old one and and you still hear the rattle and was pretty clean inside including the hose. Replaced with a new one with no change in performance or conditions.

I've learned the problem gets worse quicker when I turn the air on as well. Also noticed some vacuum hoses on the passenger side under the hood hinge that appears saturated in oil?

Any other thoughts?
Old 14 Sep 2016, 04:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Try a new WIX Air Filter (46699-EA).
Try cleaning the fuel system with Amsoil Performance Improver.
Try cleaning the air intake system with Amsoil Power Foam.
Try cleaning the engine with Amsoil Engine Flush.
I can get you all the above at wholesale and shipped to you in a few days.
I had a Ford that had similar symptoms you describe and the catalyst in the catalytic converter had collapsed restricting the exhaust.

EDIT by Moderator: PM the above person if you wish to purchase the products mentioned.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Sep 2016 at 05:26 am. Reason: advertising
Old 14 Sep 2016, 07:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

Have someone check your catalytic converter and exhaust system for a restriction. The easiest thing to do would be to remove the exhaust from in front of the cat con and drive it a short distance. It'll be loud and piss off the neighbors, but you'll know pretty quickly if that's the problem. If not, you REALLY need someone to check the turbo and see if you can find out where the oil on those hoses came from.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 07:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Go through the simple things first.

Did you do a compression test? You should have the aluminum manifold, so you should be able to do one without even pulling the upper plenum. You can use the rent-a-tool deal at most chain auto parts stores to get a tester.

If you are getting that much smoke you are burning something. Is it gas or oil? You say you tinker with old cars, I am sure you are used to this. Black is usually gas. Blue is oil. White is coolant. If you are getting that much smoke, you should know what you are using too much of - is your mileage terrible? Are you using a lot of oil between changes? How does your coolant look? Is there oil or gas in the coolant?

How do your plugs look? Are any of them wet with fuel or oil?

It *could* be a turbo seal, but I think you have a lot more checking to do before you get to that point. Chris at turbosunleashed posted some information about checking them. Scout the stickys in the turbo section.

I don't know that a bad cat would cause the smoke show. Maybe if it is unburned fuel? Even if it is the cat, there is probably an issue that made it go bad - running rich, burning oil. I don't really know how to check one, but I read an article last week that suggested checking vacuum readings at idle and then when revved to about 2,500 to see if they stabilized around the same level. It also suggested pulling the O2 sensor ahead of the cat and if the problem improved it suggested a clogged cat was an issue. Hopefully someone will chime in on how to actually do this. I know one guy (maybe revo?) just pulled the pipe ahead of the cat and determined that was the issue.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking to see if your PCM working properly by pulling a sensor wire and see if it triggers a engine trouble code.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 07:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

The problem is obvious to me. You have a 2003, so your car just became a teenager this year. Teenagers are lazy (loss of power), they exhibit rebellious behavior like smoking, and they do not communicate with their parents (no codes).
Don't give up hope, hang in there, let it know that you care, pray a lot, don't back down, choose your battles, and in ten years or so it will be grateful for all the care it has received from you.