PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Knocking

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2016, 10:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Knocking

Can anyone help me with this knocking sound?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 12:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Knocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots View Post
Sure....

But first we need to know a whole lot more about it. A video would be very helpful too.

Here's some stuff we need and some examples:

1. Start with detail about your PT (2003 PT with supercharger and custom 2.8L engine , 22,000 miles, used only to drag race in Uganda)

2. Then the problem (I was changing into third gear at about .12 miles when I started hearing a loud knocking and growling)

3. Other symptoms (Three weeks ago, I found my PT driving by it's self and trying to run over my girlfriend)

4. Things you've tried already (Had local priest perform exorcism but priest disappeared under hood of car. Knocking louder after that)

5. Trouble codes? (Used a OBDII scanner to get codes. Got the P0666 code. Look it up and it said to run and don't look back)

Give us this stuff and maybe we can find a solution for you.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Sep 2016 at 03:13 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 02:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots View Post
Yes------ put down the remote, get up off of the couch and answer the door.

It's probably Avon calling, but who knows, it also could be Publishers Clearing House.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 13 Sep 2016 at 02:18 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 05:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

https://youtu.be/_lq4OpAdmnA I tried post in a video earlier it kept telling me that to contact the admin
Old 13 Sep 2016, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Doesn't sound like a bad connecting rod to me. And that's a good thing.

My next move would be to get a piece of rubber hose about 3 feet long and use it as a stethoscope to try and tell exactly where the sound is coming from.

I would also check my drive belt pulleys as well as I could. It seems odd but I have had bad alternator bearings and bad AC clutches make noises like this too. Checking them doesn't involve taking too much apart. As a general rule I want to eliminate anything turning on the outside of an engine before I dig deeper.

Just from the video, it sound like it may be in the valve train or something loose on top of a piston. But that's a weak guess. If not joy with the rubber hose or belt area, I'd likely next pull my spark plugs and see if one looks different than the others. But I'm likely jumping ahead at this point. And others may have some other things to check first.

PS: I've also had the "slap" of a loose timing belt make this noise on an earlier version of this same 2.4L engine due to a broken tensioner. Popping the top side cover off the timing cover would let someone see if the timing belt is loose but still in place.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Sep 2016 at 05:36 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 10:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well looks like your missing intake bolts did you have 5hat off. Did anything drop down the intake? Pull the rest of the bolts the 2 that are left on intake pull valve cover check too see if rockers are tight and not broken, do what handy said I use a long screwdriver to listen for noise if I don't have my stethoscope. Also while it's running pull oilcap and see if it gets louder might help to determine if it's internal or external. Keep us posted.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 07:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

I have to agree with Revo. That sure as hell sounds like a manifold leak to me. I'd check both the intake AND the exhaust.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 08:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

The bolts were off because I was checking the spark plug,because before the knocking started I got the scan done and it said misfire in cylinder 3,so I took the intake off to get to spark plug and it looked fine just a lil carbon, I cleaned it put it back in so the only other thing I had is an oil leak, so I was driving on highway then noticed car was acting funny the acceleration was weak so I got off and soon as I pulled in gas station it died but it started back up and that's when it started to knock.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 09:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a TSB for what some consider a knocking, tapping or clicking noise. this applies to 2001 - 2004 Pt Cruisers. Its worth reading.

NUMBER: 09-007-04
GROUP: Engine
DATE: March 2, 2004
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.
SUBJECT:
Irregular Engine Snapping Sound

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/n.../09-007-04.pdf
Old 14 Sep 2016, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well I was concerned because the knocking just started out of nowhere,its pretty loud and the more it accelerates it gets louder and just feel like the cars gonna die out like it did at first as soon as I got off the highway and pulled in the gas station the car just died out.