PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
K&N FIPK vs K&N Typhoon vs AEM vs Airaid Intakes

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2016, 10:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Default K&N FIPK vs K&N Typhoon vs AEM vs Airaid Intakes

There are many threads about each of these manufacturers products related to their intakes, but I'd like thoughts and experiences on them in comparison, all in one thread. Hopefully, this one thread will make it easier to come to a conclusion on which fits best. For others and myself.

I'm looking to purchase one of them, but can not decide which option. Any experiences (positive & negative) and input will be very helpful.

For reference, here are the 4 intakes.

K&N 57-1531 Air Intake, 57 Series FIPK

K&N 69-2541TB Air Intake, 69 Series Typhoon Kits

AEM 22-427B, AEM Short Ram Intake System Factory Direct

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4L L4 Air Intake System
**2007 Chevy HHR LS - Transition to LT - 18" Solstice Wheels 235/45 & 225/45
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 13 Sep 2016, 11:06 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: K&N FIPK vs K&N Typhoon vs AEM vs Airaid Intakes

I have a cone on mine works really good
Nvizn likes this.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If these are all in reference for a Turbo Model PT Cruiser....IAT data logging and motoring has indicated the best is still a unmodified stock air box. Respectively none actually will work to improve the IAT control nor have any shown a repeatable increase in engine output when back to back test from OEM to other CAI were tested.

My suggestion is get one that you think looks the "koolest" is you pardon the pun!.

The "cone" filters look good but really dont help because of the high under-hood operating temperatures.
The stock air box will work better because it will insulate to a small degree those mentioned temperatures.
Nvizn likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Sep 2016, 11:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Big debate over the years, most opinions state does not gain any HP.
Had different ones over the years I haven't been able to tell any difference. Except for the sound of the turbo.

But I did put the Airaid on because after a long search (10 years) I finally found a Good Hood.

2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 13 Sep 2016, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PT Cruiser Turbo Model related. The debates are from many that never did proper Dyno testing and even DIY way using the ECU or PCM Diagnostic connector and simply access and watch IAT's under different operating condition.

The simple fact is that the intake system is just to long for any CAI to be effective.

There may be some improvements with CAI Road Race conditions were that engine speed is operated at WOT for over 30 seconds at a time?
NOt sure anyone has ever done that yet?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Sep 2016, 11:34 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve1 View Post
Big debate over the years, most opinions state does not gain any HP.
Had different ones over the years I haven't been able to tell any difference. Except for the sound of the turbo.

But I did put the Airaid on because after a long search (10 years) I finally found a Good Hood.

YEAASSS! In my opinion, the GOOD HOOD is probably one of the best looking aftermarket hoods out there.

As far as the air intake comparison goes, they're all going to perform basically the same.

I'll stop there with my comments.

Jerry
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 11:38 am
Senior Cruiser

How much difference does the IAT really make in a turbo car? The air isn't going straight from a scoop through the carb into the intake like the old days. By the time you are making any power the air is being spun up and heated by the turbo, running through the intercooler and then through the throttle body. The few degrees difference the CAI makes probably can't be expected to make much of a dent.

You'd be better served with water injection or at least an intercooler sprayer. That would do much more to lower the temp of the air entering the chamber IMO. In fact, that is the only reason that I have started to consider using an aftermarket air intake. To get some room for a water tank for the above. That and because my OEM is cracking and some clips are missing. They are gone off most of the turbo cars in the yards.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
As far as the air intake comparison goes, they're all going to perform basically the same.
I'll stop there with my comments.
Jerry
Your NA(normally aspirated) PT Cruiser has a nice custom air intake you should post pictures.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Sep 2016, 11:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On this forum there's lots of very good threads on this going all the way back to the first GT owners. Related to performance, I believe the best information was provided by the those past members in the older threads. Some of those guys spent lots of money getting their PT's as fast as they could and some raced them competitively. So there's lots there to read and learn.

Based just on looks and value, here's my opinion:

* The K&B plastic intake is badly overpriced and ugly. But at least you get an air dam with it.
* The Typhoon looks very cool but is overpriced.
* The AEM is a little better value than the Typhoon and has very nice air dam. My choice of the one's on this list.
* The Airaid is seriously ugly on the PT. I tried one for about a day and decided my well detailed engine deserved better. It's my least favorite of the list.

If going for pure looks, one of the inexpensive short intakes from eBay is about as good as anything else. I've used two and have a third for my current PT. I replaced the cheap filters that cames with them with a Spectra for a local store. I had an AEM air dam for my GT. And for my Vert, I plan to make my own out of a sheet of aluminum finished in crinkle black. I'll share the pattern once I've got it made.
Nvizn likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Sep 2016 at 11:56 am.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Many past PT Cruiser owners did not do basic IAT testing most reports were from the butt dyno.

In 2003 there was a publication about Performance upgrading PT Cruisers. Many followed that publication as the way to upgrade performance level
PT platforms. Unfortunately like so many of these type publications they are packed full of generalities and assumptions about what really works and what is just "BLING"!

One of the least understood but common upgrade on many platforms is the air cleaner. Because most CAI increase the sound level of the air many equate that to power and talk their brain into thinking they are making more engine power.

Even I see mention PT hoods with scoops from manufactures as improving performance yet no manufacture that I spoke making a PT Cruiser hood or was involved in the retail market selling them ever did or recall basic wind tunnel testing or even operating testing in the real world condition and making observations of under the hood temperatures or engine improvements like MPG to post any real factual information. Only basic hype and generalities.

I keep suggesting the simple act of using a scan tool and looking at IAT and coolant temperatures can relieve a lot of information and perhaps support more current information to help newer members and older memeber starting to upgrade the performance of their PT Cruisers. And to make better choices about parts before spending there money and finding out later it was wasted.

I just wanted to add that I personally have tried many of the asked about CAI and have posted pictures and comments about them in the past on this forum. I think I even sold a couple I didn't like.
SPLNeon likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Sep 2016 at 01:00 pm.