Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2016, 05:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Default A/C

My new to me 2008 pt's a/c is cycling on and off fairly rapidly even tho it's only in the 80's here in so. Oregon. Also, the air coming out of the vents is sometimes warm and not cold and then in 10 to 20 seconds it is ice cold again. Does this sound like something that just needs a recharge? Or did someone overcharge the system?

Also, when the a/c cycles on, the rpm's drop to 500, and shakes the engine and feels like it will die but never has.

Any advice?

Last edited by tourhar; 13 Sep 2016 at 06:07 pm.
Old 15 Sep 2016, 03:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: A/C

have you had it awhile?? why would you think its over charged? if you had it a year or so and it was working fine I would try putting some freon in and see if it helps? then go from there..is your cooling fan ggoin to high speed when you turn it to AC? it should speed up..check that too..
Old 16 Sep 2016, 07:50 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrooster View Post
have you had it awhile?? why would you think its over charged? if you had it a year or so and it was working fine I would try putting some freon in and see if it helps? then go from there..is your cooling fan ggoin to high speed when you turn it to AC? it should speed up..check that too..
New to me (one week).

From reading other posts and watching videos. Not thinking, just asking.

Others say it's the low speed that comes on when the a/c is turned on.

Neither low or high come on when the a/c is turned on. Low speed doesn't work on the cooling fan. I have one coming next week.

Somehow I got into the wrong thread and piggybacked on someone else's thread on this subject. So, my questions are starting to get answered over there.
Thank you.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 08:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Update and problem

I ordered a cooling fan with relays for my 2008 cruiser, non turbo, and installed it today. Also installed new plugs and plug wires. Glad I did the plugs, the old champions were showing the gap at more than .060.

The fan install went well and everything went back together with no parts left over. And the slow speed works now when I turn on the a/c. However, now my little engine icon light is on on the instrument cluster. I don't believe I have left anything unplugged. I put tape around everything I disconnected and then took the tape off when I reconnected each part.

I tried to pull the codes per the instructions in one of the stickies, but it just doesn't work with my vehicle. I don't think anything is wrong with the car. How do I get the engine light to disappear?
Old 02 Oct 2016, 09:48 am
Young Cruiser

Does anybody know how to get the engine icon light to disappear?
Old 02 Oct 2016, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you get your own OBDII Scan Tool and reset the engine trouble codes. You can get one reasonable at Harbor Freight.

Search results for: 'OBDII Scan tool'
Old 02 Oct 2016, 04:23 pm
Young Cruiser

So, there is no other way to remove the engine light from the display except to use the obdii tool?
Old 02 Oct 2016, 04:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can try taking off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. Step on the brake pedal while the it's off. When you re-attach the cable, most faults will be cleared but if the problem still exists, the engine light could come right back on when you start the engine.
Old 02 Oct 2016, 04:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Thank you, I will try that.
Old 02 Oct 2016, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

BTW, the "key trick" to retrieve the fault codes works on ALL pt cruisers. BY removing the engine light, the computer won't erase the faults so you can still get them. Try the instructions again. Make sure when you start turning the key back and forth, you do it within 5 seconds. it's not hard, but do't hesitate between each turn of the key. If there's no faults stored, it will say "done". If you don't get at least that word, you didn't do it right.