• 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By JoeX
  • 2 Post By thecabinguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2016, 05:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Mopar expert advice please!

even I hate the lame "do everything for me" threads! but I did my homework....ready to order my timing belt and related stuff but not sure about the belt idler pulley.
Bearing looks great, no play but should I trust it for another 100,000m? the water pump is a no brainer and the tensioner bearing is fine but seems like the spring tension isn't great so those will be ordered.
also see a o-ring on the back side of pump that ill get.
anything I forgot? all three seals on top and bottom are fine but I wish I had time to do oil pump... that would of been really, really great.....
thank you guys. all of you! (btw, '05 2.4l na lmt edition. also, tourqe struts only lasted 15,000m but I know for a fact the guy didn't adjust them. I really want to try those street inserts just on one torque strut. the ol lady just stomps it every where!! I already found a spring to increase tension on throttle valve. shhhhh!)
Old 15 Sep 2016, 05:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Mopar expert advice please!

timing belt lasted 125,000miles btw! I could of swore my girlfriend had it changed but, guess what? also ordering from wholesale mopar to insure I get oem gates unless some ones got a better place?

Last edited by rambojoe; 15 Sep 2016 at 08:35 pm.
Old 15 Sep 2016, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can try comparing prices from a vendor at this site. RockAuto Put in the correct info and that site gives you half a dozen choices for everything your looking at plus they have a few "kits" that's includes everything you need. I ordered the "kit" and it worked out fine. Fast shipping too. I ordered a Brake Master Cylinder for my Vette on Friday afternoon and got an email saying my order been shipped a couple hours ago.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Sep 2016 at 05:28 pm.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 12:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Rockauto -- Gates Kit has what you need TCKWP265A to do the timing belt,idler, tensioner, water pump and water pump "O" ring.
You will have to add any oil seals or serpentine belts, mounts, AC/Power steering Idler Pulley (on the serpentine tensioner )
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 16 Sep 2016, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
timing belt lasted 125,000miles btw! I could of swore my girlfriend had it changed but, guess what?
Welcome to the forum

Ya only on PT Cruiser forums do they only last -100k, in the real world they actually last much longer.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 Sep 2016, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A fast check at older posts when the TIMING BELT BROKE !!!

Username: iLzho 101,000 miles, Dream_Car 112,000 miles, JC Cook 104,000 miles, and there's one or two that lost the belt BEFORE 100,000.

You want to take good advise, change it at 100,000 miles and save yourself some heartache, or find yourself on the side of the road....

Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Sep 2016 at 09:07 am.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 09:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Welcome to the forum

Ya only on PT Cruiser forums do they only last -100k, in the real world they actually last much longer.
When I changed mine out at 110,000 miles, it looked just as good as the new one minus the writing. No wear, fraying or cracks in it whatsoever. I don't know if it was ever changed, but I have the car six years and put over 35,000 miles on it, so the timing belt was at least that old. I don't recall the dealer I bought it from telling me it was changed. I also replaced the idler, tensioner and water pump while I was in there. Wouldn't want to do that job again for one of those parts because I wanted to save a few dollars.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robadat View Post
When I changed mine out at 110,000 miles, it looked just as good as the new one minus the writing. No wear, fraying or cracks in it whatsoever. I don't know if it was ever changed, but I have the car six years and put over 35,000 miles on it, so the timing belt was at least that old. I don't recall the dealer I bought it from telling me it was changed. I also replaced the idler, tensioner and water pump while I was in there. Wouldn't want to do that job again for one of those parts because I wanted to save a few dollars.
You did the right thing.

While you can sometimes tell if a timing belt is bad by visual inspection, you cannot tell if one is good by visual inspection. This means that a used timing belt that looks almost new can just give way due to age and use.

Ever since there have been 2.4L Dodge/Chrysler engines, there have been reports of the belts failing at around 100,000 miles give or take. While I believe you can confident run one up to 100,000 with only a little bit of risk, running a 2.4L timing belt past 100,000 is going to substantially increase the risk.

Risk is made up of probability and severity. The most common severity for timing belt failure is that the engine dies without warning while driving the car down the road. The driver must obtain transport for him or her self along with a tow for the car back home or to a shop for repair. Time for the car being down is usually two days to one week. There is a small and mostly unconfirmed additional risk of bending valves. But the probability for that seems to be very small if it actually happens at all.

If you can accept this risk, then you can continue to drive your PT until it occurs. This may happen near 100,000 miles, 200,000 miles or not at all. If someone wants to search all the Dodge/Chrysler forums and collect mileages for cars with broken timing belts, we could calculate the probability based in the mileage of a given car.
thecabinguy likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Sep 2016 at 12:12 pm.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 01:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just changed the belt on a non running PT Cruiser I purchased, belt was broken and kind of melted from power steering fluid overflow @ 87,000.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 19 Sep 2016, 10:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robadat View Post
My '02 LTD just three weeks ago had the belt (and all else with it) done at the local Chrysler dealership (they did an absolute 100% perfect job, nothing amiss could be noted since I got it back). With 110,000 miles on mine I talked to the tech and he said he couldn't believe it that the belt looked so good, noting no wear that could be seen (but I can still question how more brittle it must be being 15 years old).
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock