PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil pump life

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2016, 02:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Oil pump life

Has anyone had a oil pump failure? how many miles did it last? not many topics about it which kinda tells me it lasts well- if you take car of the oil changes....
Old 16 Sep 2016, 03:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Oil pump life

I never had one apart but I think there is a relief spring in them to limit pressure, if the spring breaks its done...too
Had that happen on another car, we were pounding the gears and looked down and pressure was "0".... lucky no damage done..
rambojoe likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 16 Sep 2016, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
Has anyone had a oil pump failure? how many miles did it last? not many topics about it which kinda tells me it lasts well- if you take car of the oil changes....
Chrysler has been using the same basic oil pump design in these engines and many of their V6's for a long time. I think the new HEMI's use this design too but I'm not sure.

It's a simple rotary design without vanes. Just a star gear running on the end of the crankshaft inside a larger concentric gear that runs with the smaller gear but off-centered. This creates an empty space between the two gears as the larger gear moves around the smaller gear and makes a pumping action. So there's only two moving parts that fit loosely and that means there's little to wear out.

There is a high pressure bypass piston and spring. I believe you can access it from the outside of the oil pump case. And on some of the older 2.4L engines, there's a hydraulic timing belt tensioner piston on the case that runs off the oil pressure. The PT uses a spring-loaded tensioner and doesn't have that.

As far as reliability goes, reports of failures on PT, Sebring and Dodge/Chrysler sedan websites appear to be very rare. It's usually only that older style hydraulic tensioner that fails. When I looked into this, I decided there was no need to change the oil pump for preventative maintenance. Not even on a high mileage engine.
rambojoe likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Sep 2016 at 05:51 pm.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 09:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

thanks for the spring info. I know how the thing works too. if anyone has had a failure please chime in with the mileage it failed- thanks guys!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 09:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Realistically, upwards of 99% of PT Cruiser owners will not experience an oil pump failure. The primary cause of oil pump failure in the NGC (03+) 2.4L is due to detonation/knock. Those who own turbo models could, in theory, run a higher risk of oil pump failure if they were to increase boost while subsequently using a lower-octane fuel. For most, especially non-turbo PT owners, the oil pump should be expected to last the life of the engine.

If you're pulling the engine or doing anything to the bottom end, it would be advisable to replace it with an OEM unit or an aftermarket equivalent.

Old 20 Sep 2016, 08:48 am
Cool Cruiser

thank you chris15. not doing bottom end work just timing belt. its my girlfriends pt- I keep on telling her to trade it in after every big repair (just 3 really- tranny,computer and timing belt) but she says it needs to last another 3yrs till loans are paid off :/ sorry guys, turtle is a great car but I wish she had a Honda....
anyway, doing the timing belt now so changing the oil pump and cleaning the pick up would be very easy. along with ending a annoying micro leak at what I assume to be the oil filter assembly or oil pan gasket.
how ever.... thank god I found my comp gauge! cyl 3 is way low after the timing belt broke. the head is coming off I hope its just carbon on the valve seat...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 03:25 am
Regular Cruiser

had my oil light flashing and beeping for low oil pressure yesterday a day after i replaced the broken oil pressure switch, only does it at low revs when i pull up to a red light... might purchase an oil pump. 95,000 miles.... possible could be the new switch breaking in/faulty or possible i had a problem anyway, with the broken cracked leaking old switch not letting me know.

2005 GT 2.4 Dark Plum Pearl
Old 03 Jun 2017, 06:42 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncomn View Post
had my oil light flashing and beeping for low oil pressure yesterday a day after i replaced the broken oil pressure switch, only does it at low revs when i pull up to a red light... might purchase an oil pump. 95,000 miles.... possible could be the new switch breaking in/faulty or possible i had a problem anyway, with the broken cracked leaking old switch not letting me know.
Where did you get the new switch from, what brand is it? Could be a faulty "new" switch
Old 03 Jun 2017, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

We frequently get vehicles in the shop after customer changed their oil still pressure switch getting the caution light and found that they damaged the new switch installing it.

I suggest to carefully remove the new installed switch and inspect it.

The way to test the oil pumps service performance is my tapping into a oil feed port and reading the pressure at various engine speeds.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 03 Jun 2017, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The problem on the PT's engine is that there are not many places to tap into to read oil pressure. If I had the OP's problem, I'd suspect that I got a bad sending unit. Complaints of bad electrical parts seems to have skyrocketed since back in the day.

I would first inspect the wiring, plug and sensor for visible damage. With the key on, there should be 5 volts on the positive lead. There should also be an ohms reading across the sending unit that's not 0, 1 or infinity depending and how my gauge reads. If all was good, I'd remove the sending unit and try to make the parts store give me another one. All the big parts store chains will with insistence. Next, I'd install the new sensor.

There's a very high chance, everything will then work correctly. But if I still had the same issue, I would likely install a mechanical oil gauge (that I already have - good quality electrical gauge is okay too) in place of the sending unit. Then I'd check my oil pressure with the car started and warmed up as already suggested.

As others have said here, the oil pump design on these engines is very good and robust, failure is rare. A bad sending unit or damaged leads or plug is more likely.