Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Starting issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2016, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Starting issues

I have been having starting issues with my PT Cruiser for a couple of years. The first time I took it to a mechanic and he replaced the starter. It started for two weeks. I took it back and they replaced the starter again. The third time it wouldn't start I took it to a different mechanic and he also replaced the starter because he'd already ordered it and it's a lifetime warranty. The auto parts store said they weren't replacing it again and they needed to find out what the real issues was.
Last summer I took it to yet another mechanic. Same issue. Won't start. HE replaced an alternator sensor. I don't even think there is such a thing. Anyway. Three days later it wouldn't start. I left it sitting since then because i am frustrated and mad. I'm tired of paying mechanics to not fix my car.
I want my car back. I don't think it's the starter but I am not a mechanic and have no clue. It's a 2004 PT. Low miles cause it sits a lot. (77,000)
Oh I had my grandson start it the other day and it took forever. Batterybwas dead and it was cranking but not getting fuel. I guess from sitting so long. But he got it started and then the fan wouldn't come on and it over heated. No issues with that before.
Any ideas why this car intermittently won't start besides a starter? 4 replacements haven't fixed this issues.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 10:47 am
Banned

Default Re: Starting issues

Welcome to the forum
Old 18 Sep 2016, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Several members have had faulty rebuilt starters and have had to replace the faulty rebuilt starters several times before they got a good starter. Does it not crank or not start?

The radiator fans not coming on could be another problem. With the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C and the high speed on the radiator fan should come on almost immediately. Let us know if it does or not.

Is your engine light on? If so has the codes been given to you from an OBDII Scan Tool?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Sep 2016 at 11:01 am.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 04:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You really need to have someone run the codes. If you're getting the starters from Autozone or Advance, then that's most likely the problem. If not, I'd suggest you get someone to remove the battery and check the cable ground connection there on the driver side fender. They also need to take a close look at the battery cables for corrosion under the insulation. It's very hard for me to think you actually got 3 defective starters in a row from Autozone. If you were driving an old bowtie and not shimming the starter, then I could tell you what was going on, but you're not. Get your battery load tested too and make sure that sum beech doesn't have a dead cell. Pull your fan relays out of the fuse box five or six times. This will help sweep the contacts on them and clean any build up that might have collected while the car's been sitting.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.