PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
what engine?

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2016, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face what engine?

I am trying to help a friend. Her car was towed to a dealership and they said she has a broken timing belt. Cost to replace belt and water pump $1500
Does that seem high? Are all pt engines non interference? I am not sure what engine is in it, but dealer said valves are probably bent. Is there a way to tell what engine is in it by the vin? Sorry for all the questions the car is 50 miles away and dealer seems a little sketchy to me.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 09:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: what engine?

Depends on where the dealer is located. Mine cost around $1300 for belt, tensioner, cam seals and water pump. All are 2.4 engines here in the U.S.

From what I've read, very few have had bent valves and it is a non-interference engine.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 10:03 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum

$1100-$1500 is pretty much typical for the timing belt, water pump, and other component replacement (timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, 2 cam seals, crank seal, center motor mount) at a dealership. The 8th digit of the VIN will tell you what engine it is.

What year the PT? How many miles on it?
wingman55 likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 19 Sep 2016 at 10:44 pm.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 10:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

I've done several on PT Cruisers and the only one that had bent valves was one that the teeth on the belt stripped off. All the ones with the actual broken belt did not have bent valves.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 20 Sep 2016, 07:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Shop around for prices and tow it somewhere else. Dealerships will always be higher priced and try to upsell a woman a LOT of extras that she doesn't need. We recently had a female member come for help on hers. I THINK it was AyeCantSeeYou. Anyway, someone was trying to pull a fast one on her and with help from the forum, she didn't get taken advantage of.
wingman55 likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Sep 2016, 11:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ugh ... as a general rule ... it is a non interference motor so there is a good chance that there is no valve damage.

Price wise ... $1500 is not that out of line for a dealership. Bad news is "now" it's a non runner and you/she is in an awkward position. Still ... you may be able to do better??

Out here Carson City NV our Dealership wanted $2000 to do that job!!
We were having the flex pipe welded found a shop "Driveline Precision??" Seem to be a 4x4 shop?? So under "normal circumstances" not a place I would have gone to?? But "apparently" they do ... pretty much everything??

So the wife mentioned (T-Belt) and the owner laughed at the quote ... he said ...we can do it for half that price ... came out to be $800 and they guarantee there work and parts for One Year!

Don't know where you are but ... get on the phone ... you may be able to do better??
VsandFords likes this.
Old 20 Sep 2016, 11:46 am
Senior Cruiser

The price isn't crazy. The "probably bent valves" doesn't indicate that they deal with these much or that they are getting ready to drill you for valves/top end work or that they just want to prepare you for the worst. I think I got my timing belt job done for around $850, but I had a bunch of other stuff done at the same time, so it was probably $1,200 out the door IIRC. I needed the other stuff, but I am sure I got a volume discount.
Old 20 Sep 2016, 01:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. With a little of info like the year of the Cruiser and if it is US or European will help.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 21 Sep 2016, 07:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

sorry about the year it is a 2002 us model. I have done several honda and Lexus t belts so i might do it for her as her husband died and she is broke, just never worked on a Chrysler product before. Thanks for the help
Old 21 Sep 2016, 07:56 am
Senior Cruiser

The belt is something you could do. I replaced the one on my 2001 LE last month. It can be a time consuming process. There is a lot of good info and help here if you decide to take this on.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!