PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What else can I do before I torch that thing

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2016, 01:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default What else can I do before I torch that thing

I have this intermittent problem with stalling/bucking of my 2001 PTC Limited with 5 speed MT. It happens mostly in the first 45 minutes of driving, regardless wether it was driven that day or not. Sometimes the chime will sound and CEL will flash shortly. No codes. Otherwise it has no starting or idling problem. Below is the list of parts I replaced so far:
new camshaft sensor (Mopar)
new crankshaft sensor (Mopar)
new spark plugs and wires
new oil pressure sensor
new coolant temp sensor
new radiator fan motor
new Interstate battery 96R
redone grounding with a new battery cable to engine and chassis bolt
extra grounding cable to ECM
ECM contacts cleaned
all sensor contacts cleaned
new VSS
new ignition switch

It is very frustrating. I read this forum and it seems this a common problem where the cause was never definitely found. I am the second owner of the car. According to the shop receipts from the first owner, the ECM was replaced 5 times! If this should be the ECM again, this car goes for parts and I am buying a Toyota.

Last edited by Overdrive; 05 Mar 2017 at 05:18 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What else can I do before I torch that thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I have that intermittent problem with stalling/bucking of my 2001 PTC Limited with 5 speed MT. It happens mostly in the first 45 minutes of driving, regardless wether it was driven that day or not. Sometimes the chime will sound and CEL will flash shortly. No codes. Otherwise it has no starting or idling problem. Below is the list of parts I replaced so far:
new camshaft sensor (Mopar)
new crankshaft sensor (Mopar)
new spark plugs and wires
new oil pressure sensor
new coolant temp sensor
new Interstate battery 96R
redone grounding with a new battery cable to engine and chassis bolt
extra grounding cable to ECM

It is very frustrating. I read this forum and it seems this a common problem where the cause was never definitely found. I am the second owner of the car. According to the shop receipts from the first owner, the ECM was replaced 5 times! If this should be the ECM again, this car goes for parts and I am buying a Toyota.
. My bet it was never any of these things. 01 and 02 have a different placement and wiring of the crank sensor. I would check that harness for anything that looks like damage. Even more so if it is loose and dangling. The plug in the cam sensor is another thing to check.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Sep 2016, 02:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with Busted, check the electrical connection and the harness from the Camshaft sensor all the way round back of the engine. I had a cheap 2-cent plastic harness holder break apart and let the harness drop low enough to touch the spinning half shaft and burn the wires.

Also, can't hurt, there's also some reported problems with the Target Magnet inside the hole where the Camshaft sensor is located. Try replacing that.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 03:34 pm
Young Cruiser

When I replaced those sensors, I checked the connectors too. Nothing is dangling or loose. The lower sensors on the engine block is the crankshaft sensor. Right?
Old 25 Sep 2016, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest taking the camshaft sensor connector off and see if the PCM triggers the engine trouble code for it. You want to make sure you have all the diagnostic tools working for you.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
. The lower sensors on the engine block is the crankshaft sensor. Right?
CRANKshaft sensor on yours is above the oil filter. The CAMshaft sensor is on the right of the engine as you face it from the front.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the PCM triggers the code for the camshaft sensor when you unplug it I would suggest measure the resistance between the crankshaft sensor harness connector and the PCM harness connector. If the resistance is above 5.0 ohms I would check the wire.

As Busted_PT & Crewzin mentioned the clip breaks and the crankshaft harness drops down on the half shaft or chassis shorting wires on the 2001 & 2002 PT Cruisers. Some mechanics don't do a good job repairing the damage to the wires and sometimes the problem comes back intermittent and hard to find.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Sep 2016 at 05:36 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 04:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Agree with Busted, check the electrical connection and the harness from the Camshaft sensor all the way round back of the engine. I had a cheap 2-cent plastic harness holder break apart and let the harness drop low enough to touch the spinning half shaft and burn the wires.

Also, can't hurt, there's also some reported problems with the Target Magnet inside the hole where the Camshaft sensor is located. Try replacing that.

The target magnet cracking is very rare and usually only happens when someone over tightens it installing it.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 07:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ugh ... having been the victim of "Fuel Pump" issues on my 951 and not believing the newly installed Fuel Pressure gauge that refused to budge off of Zero ... well the fuel pumps in new ... not once but twice!!! So ... it can't be that ...but it was???

Still 5 "PCM's???" That's just nuts! "IF" they had in fact failed?? Then something is killing them???

Hopefully this is not your only car?? If it is than yeah that's a whole of pressure to get it right.

So step one is going to be to walk away ... well maybe for "you" put the torch down.

Then ... pick up a DVOM and check the sensors, that have been replaced for correct voltage and in particular ... since I did not see it mentioned, the "TPS" (Throttle Position Sensor and the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) I do belive (the TPS) should have a 5 volt signal somewhere on one of the pins???

Aside from that ... have a look here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=infr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I understand it's not a "No Crank/No start" issue but that "Process" may help in pinpointing the casue of the problem??
Old 25 Sep 2016, 09:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest taking the camshaft sensor connector off and see if the PCM triggers the engine trouble code for it. You want to make sure you have all the diagnostic tools working for you.
You want make me taking the plug off with the ignition on, not running or running?