PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT What is that grey box where the noise came from?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By VOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2016, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT What is that grey box where the noise came from?

My battery was dead and successfully jumped. Drove it for quite a while. 2 days later a friend checked it, dead again. The next morning, I walked up to it & heard this noise. I opened the hood and took a picture & video. Back in the car, I turned the key, noise stopped. Car totally dead. Nothing.
Having battery problem has been going on for years. I always thought something was draining it when parked. All the times the codes were checked nothing came up. Three battery 's over 6 years. No one ever suggested about checking anything else.
I knew the anti-theft was on that always made me think that might be the culprit.
It was coming from that grey box. Searched the net and finally thought I had found the part. Couldn't find any pictures of that area (not knowing what I was looking for but finally found a picture of location of a PCM/ECM but it did not have the grey box. Is the black box the ECM? I was hoping to identify it before I went to my service center so I could be prepared. Grateful for help. KSee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09-17-16 still of under the hood.jpg (96.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by ksee; 25 Sep 2016 at 05:44 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 07:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT What is that grey box where the noise came from?

What you're calling "grey box" are the two connectors to the PCM.
The '01 has the early version with only two connector "plugs".
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 26 Sep 2016, 07:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for giving it a name. Obviously, something was sending current to it to make noise to totally dead battery. Now I can look around to learn more about it
Old 26 Sep 2016, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's only a few things in the PCM itself that can make noise. If the noise is truly coming from the PCM, chances are there is a internal relay that's staying activated.

First, check for trouble codes. Even though you have not mentioned a check engine light, check it anyway. If I don't say this, someone will chime in and say I should have.

If you have trouble codes, please let us know what they are. If no codes, I would try these things first.

With the engine running check the voltage across the positive and negative battery terminals with a volt meter. It should read somewhere around 14 volts. If more, then you may have a stuck voltage regular relay in the PCM. This will "cook" the battery. It may become bloated on the sides and have a constant acid smell.

If no joy, when the engine is off and the PCM is making this noise, remove the negative cable from the battery and then put it back on. Does the noise return?

Do these things and reporting back may let us help you more. Beyond a stuck relay in the PCM, another cause of this could just be a short someplace that keeps feeding power back to the PCM. If not, a bad PCM might be the issue. However, you will want to try a number of different solutions before spending money on a replacement PCM that you may not need.

Also, note that the TCM is separate from the PCM on these early 2001/2002 PT's. There's a similar condition that might occur on later PT's when the transmission does not properly disengage. I've had that one happen myself on another car with the 41TE transmission. But that should likely not cause this condition on the 2001/2002 PT.
Old 26 Sep 2016, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Fantastic info. I will go to my Advance Auto Parts who can help to see what we can see.

Tags
2001 limited edition, battery problems, pcm