PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad mileage, rough idle

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2016, 04:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Bad mileage, rough idle

Just changed the plugs which were nice and tan after 50 k miles. It did not solve the problem. 150k on vehicle, 50 k on wires. I have a rough idle and bad mileage. Was thinking of changing the wires again and the 02 sensor since its never been changed. It is a 2008. I do not have an egr or a vaccum line on the map sensor. seems to be missing a little when cold.
Old 02 Oct 2016, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad mileage, rough idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
Just changed the plugs which were nice and tan after 50 k miles. It did not solve the problem. 150k on vehicle, 50 k on wires. I have a rough idle and bad mileage. Was thinking of changing the wires again and the 02 sensor since its never been changed. It is a 2008. I do not have an egr or a vaccum line on the map sensor. seems to be missing a little when cold.
Your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?

With 150k we need a little history on whats been done to the engine.
Old 02 Oct 2016, 07:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

No engine codes. 3 dings when I start the car. head replaced at 100,000 miles along with timing belt and cam sensor. Head had a burnt exhaust valve. At about 145K the car started pinging, less after changing the spark plugs.
Old 02 Oct 2016, 08:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest connecting a hand vacuum gauge to the intake manifold either tee into the PCV or the brake hose. Than start your engine and report what the gauge is doing.

If you do not have one than now is the time to invest in one! They are at most all better auto parts chain stores for a very low price.
VOS likes this.
Old 04 Oct 2016, 05:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Harbor Freight has pretty good deals on vacuum pumps. They also come in handy for bleeding brakes.
Old 04 Oct 2016, 06:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Did you ever figure out what caused the burnt exhaust valve? I bet it is the same problem.
And don't tell me the exhaust valve just burned over time. something like a burnt valve don't just happen unless something goes wrong.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 05 Oct 2016, 08:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

I do not know what caused the burnt valve. Around the same time I ran it 2 quarts low on oil. Shortly after that I got a misfire on cylinder 3 code. I thought ignition and changed the plugs and wires and coil pack. Still had the misfire code. I did the old dollar bill on the exhaust trick. Got a suck in so did a compression check, #3 was low and that's the story, burnt valve. That was 55 K ago. Someone told me it could be a lean injector, air leak on the intake. Injectors either work or they don't and all the Gaskets are new. The car actually ran good with the burnt valve, idled smooth, accelerated ok. Just threw a code. Well I didn't notice much difference put it that way. I have noticed a slight fluctuation in the idle. I have never changed the 02 sensor so was thinking maybe its part of the cause. I am going to clean the MAP sensor this weekend, check for a bad vacuum line, etc. Lots of radio noise, maybe its wires? I dunno
Old 05 Oct 2016, 09:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Didn't a bunch of people just post that you can't clean the MAP? I thought that was the consensus in a recent thread. You can clean the IAC.
Old 06 Oct 2016, 05:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Oh. ok. Then I will try the IAC. I may have to solicit the help of my friends mechanic. I guess he has a smoke machine to check the vacuum lines.
Old 06 Oct 2016, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
Did you ever figure out what caused the burnt exhaust valve? I bet it is the same problem.
And don't tell me the exhaust valve just burned over time. something like a burnt valve don't just happen unless something goes wrong.
Actually both on these. Carbon is a big thing on these. This get cought between the valves and seat. Over time this beats up the valve sealing area and begins to leak. Until the point it leaks enough to allow hot gases following out to heat up the valve's edges to the point of melting. The exahast valves should be checked anytime you have to remove the head on one of these.
JoeX likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com