PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 PT Cruiser PCM issue!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2016, 09:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 05 PT Cruiser PCM issue!

Ok so my 05 PT Cruiser GT (2.4L High-Output Turbo) has done me no wrong up until recently, it all started with a check engine light which led me to a couple codes P0031 & P037 and after having my car inspected and diagnosed it looks like my solution is replacing the PCM, but here is where I'm having a issue and that is taking down another PCM and yes I know I can go through a Chrysler dealer, but lets be real I'm not exactly rolling around in money. So does anyone know where I can track down a PCM out does anyone have another solution.
Old 02 Oct 2016, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 PT Cruiser PCM issue!

Sorry, I don't see why a couple of 02 sensor codes leads anyone to believe you need a new PCM.
Old 02 Oct 2016, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That was one of the first things to be checked in the whole process of elimination I had my sensors changed because even if they weren't bad being that this is a used car I thought it might be a good idea to have them changed anyways but the codes still came up, also it was checked for a short in the wiring but nothing, also it was properly grounded and yet again nothing wrong there.
Old 03 Oct 2016, 01:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk1415 View Post
That was one of the first things to be checked in the whole process of elimination I had my sensors changed because even if they weren't bad being that this is a used car I thought it might be a good idea to have them changed anyways but the codes still came up, also it was checked for a short in the wiring but nothing, also it was properly grounded and yet again nothing wrong there.
I have found that some mechanics don't take the time to install the 02 sensors properly especially on chasing the threads with a tap.

The key to successfully replacing any HO2 or O2 sensor.

Spray area of sensor with a air dry cleaner
Remove sensor from exhaust component.
Either use a tap and chase the thread or a small wire brush to clean the threads.
Apply a very small amount of anti-seize to the threads.
Using only a Oxygen sensor installation socket install and torque to value as per the instructions from the sensor used or as per a Factory Service Manual.
Apply dielectric grease to the connector housing and re-connect with the chassis harness
Secure the harness away from direct contact of exhaust components.
Using a Diagnostic tool go into the diagnostic connector and check and clear any codes making note of any existing codes.
chuzz likes this.
Old 03 Oct 2016, 06:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

Sometimes our Mopars don't like aftermarket O2 sensors either. Where did yours come from?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 03 Oct 2016, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Sometimes our Mopars don't like aftermarket O2 sensors either. Where did yours come from?
+1

Yep,

The problem with Bosch and some other aftermarket oxygen sensors is real and not just an internet myth. On my last go-around, I had to deal with this. A partially clogged catalytic converter may cause this too. And of course, a turbo leaking oil into the exhaust can clog the cat besides create havoc for the O2 sensors.
Old 03 Oct 2016, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here we go again!
Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk
There is no imperial information to support that aftermarket H02 or 02 sensors do not work well in a PT Cruisers or MOPAR model vehicles.

In fact most independent service shop install sensors supplied from their local parts distributors without any out of the ordinary from any other electrical part used failure rate.

There has not been responses to actually rule that it is a PCM failing.

If you need a PCM try contacting SOLO AUTO.
Have your VIN when calling to inquier about a rebuilt PCXM

Their warranty starts from the day they receive the core return. Very helpful and friendly company.
thecabinguy and chuzz like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 03 Oct 2016, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The previous comment about the lack of empirical data is correct. But there is substantial anecdotal evidence to suggest there is a problem with some aftermarket sensors when used on some PT Cruisers.

Say you were going to walk down a trail in the woods, but over fifty people told you that when they personally walked down the trail they were attacked by a bear. You might then conclude, by the reasoning presented above, that these bear reports are only anecdotal evidence. And since no empirical data has been presented, there is surely no bear. Of course, that would be faulty reasoning.

On the matter of oxygen sensors, over fifty members on this forum over thirteen years have reported problems when using aftermarket oxygen sensors on PT Cruisers. You could then conclude, by the reasoning presented above, that these aftermarket sensor problems are only anecdotal evidence. And since no empirical data has been presented, there is surely no problem with them. Or you could take the reasonable approach that this may be something you want to at least consider before spending several hundred dollars on a new PCM that you may well not need.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Oct 2016 at 09:21 am.
Old 03 Oct 2016, 09:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

You guys both have valid cases here, so let's not start arguing, okay? I've not had much luck with Bosch sensors in the past, but it's probably because of improper installation on my part. I plead guilty to not following the proper procedure a few times. OTOH, I've never had a problem with OEM style O2 sensors. I wonder why? I'm not being facetious, I'm just wondering.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 03 Oct 2016, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

To date manufactured OEM parts are the same for the aftermarket parts now and have been for the last couple of years.

There were over 1 million PT Cruisers manufactured, accurate reporting of failed sensors because of none OEM replacements has never been documented as being accurate through professional help institutions such as AllData or MOPAR Service on line.

On this forum alone most of the reports were repeated over time and not accumulative independently. And that percentage is even less than 1% of 1% of 1% of the 1 million PT Cruiser owners reporting information.

Many service shops on the other hand have never verified the use or none use of OEM parts and their work-ability quality or longevity comparing none oem parts yet continue to use generally none OEM parts for service replacements.

I work on many vehicles monthly that are not only MOPAR or PT Cruisers and replace with numerous after market parts without concern or failure. My method of choosing replacement parts is also a general practice confirmed through local Parts suppliers as well service shops in any forum members location.

For the OP here is a couple of pictures of the SOLO Auto PCM I mentioned earlier.

chuzz likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN