PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
fuel smell with no leak found

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Oct 2016, 07:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default fuel smell with no leak found

Hi.

I've been experiencing a fuel smell in the cab of the car. It occurs when I'm really stomping on the gas--going up a steep hill or getting on the highway.

I've brought my car to my usual place twice with this complaint and they haven't been able to identify a leak or the source of the problem. The last time they said they took apart and cleaned the fuel filters, but still found nothing.

Can anyone give me an idea of what might be an atypical source for this might be?

I've got a 2007 with the 2.4L Turbo. 80,000 miles.

Thanks!
Old 04 Oct 2016, 07:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: fuel smell with no leak found

I was getting a fuel smell when I had an intake gasket leak. The smell would usually occur when I let off the gas after getting on it fairly hard. Probably less common on the plastic manifold.

I would check the EVAP stuff. That little accumulator thing on the firewall tends to weep before it leaks.

I'm not sure what they mean by they cleaned "all the fuel filters" As far as I know, there is only one fuel filter and it is integral to the fuel pump.
Old 04 Oct 2016, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm not sure what was meant about cleaning the fuel filters. That's what I was told. And frankly, the guy that handled my car that day was treating me like a girl in a mechanic's shop (as opposed to the other people that handle the customer end (I don't know a lot about engines, but I know enough)). I don't have the paperwork handy to see what it says. I'll be back with that, but perhaps he was including the charcoal canister? Just my guess.
Old 04 Oct 2016, 09:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hmmm ... fuel smell and not "apparent" leak??? It could be an issue with the Evaporative Canister system?? I would tend think an issue there would set a code??

Or ... it could be a "failing fuel pressure" regulator?? It's the squirrelist looking setup I've ever seen before at least on the NA cars. Tiny little thing that is metal bounded to plastic???

On the NA it hangs out above the exhaust header, I never put a fuel pressure gauge to they system when I was having a fuel order??? But at some point ... I found and replaced it and the fuel smell mostly in the engine compartment ... went away.
Old 09 Oct 2016, 08:21 am
Regular Cruiser

Stay away from that shop. This car doesn't have any serviceable fuel filters. Sounds like they're full of sh**. I'd start by looking/smelling at the fuel rail with the engine running and trace the fuel line back to the tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddingmobile View Post
Hi.

I've been experiencing a fuel smell in the cab of the car. It occurs when I'm really stomping on the gas--going up a steep hill or getting on the highway.

I've brought my car to my usual place twice with this complaint and they haven't been able to identify a leak or the source of the problem. The last time they said they took apart and cleaned the fuel filters, but still found nothing.

Can anyone give me an idea of what might be an atypical source for this might be?

I've got a 2007 with the 2.4L Turbo. 80,000 miles.

Thanks!