Advertisements
Gauge cluster lights, shifter lights, and rear running lights out

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Jspata

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2016, 12:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Possibly fixed electrical issue

I have noticed before my dash lights would flicker. One day they just went out. My brother said the rear lights were out on the car though.

I have done some diagnostics and still can't figure it out. Went through probably 20 plus threads of people with the same issues except all of them don't have the issue of when I turn the steering wheel, it blows the parking fuse.

2004 pt cruiser gt auto with 135k miles.

Brake lights, headlights, turn signals, high beams, reverse lights and dome light all work. Horn still works. Only fuse blown is the parking lamp fuse(#10). #13 fuse is also good

My brother was helping me and we checked the amperage and it's like 3.8ish. When I turn my steering wheel left to right, it spikes and the dinging and dash lights flash off and then on again.

Multi function switch doesn't show any signs of burning at the connector. All the wires around the steering column look fine to me. No signs of burning or exposed wire.

Not sure if this is related but when I pull on the key, the radio shuts off. If I push it back in and up, the radio comes back on. The radio shutting off doesn't bother me much. I need help of where else to look for this damn short. I don't know electrical systems very well so I'm hoping someone who knows can chime in. Thanks.

Last edited by Jspata; 18 Oct 2016 at 04:38 am.
Old 05 Oct 2016, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Gauge cluster lights, shifter lights, and rear running lights out

I just said 10 cause that was labeled gauges. I'm gonna check some more stuff out today. Will post back.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Have not been able to get it to short out. Seems to be fine. If I can every get it figured out, I will post back.
Old 18 Oct 2016, 04:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Possible fix: checked the wires on the front then signals and the driver side wire right before the connector was rubbing the tire. Explains why after I lowered it, the problem started. The plastic wheel well piece is missing allowing the wire to hang. Fixed the wires and shrink wrapped them. Moved the wire out of the way of the tire. Let's hope it's good.

Last edited by Jspata; 18 Oct 2016 at 04:39 am.