PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark plug issues

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2016, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spark plug issues

Help! Long story short - got ck engine error code 00300 - multiple cylinder misfire. Bought new plugs and wires. The first 3 plugs came out no problem but the 4th won't budge. 2 people have said it's either seized or cross threaded. Ok, question - would it be best to have the head removed before trying to get the plug out? Can it be done without damage to the head if the head isn't removed? I can do most simple and routine stuff myself but.....

She's my new baby and I don't want to losee her.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spark plug issues

What I would recommend is find a good place and tell them your situation and schedule timing belt and water pump replacement. If the head has to come off, the timing belt has to come off, and the water pump is cheap compared to the labor to get to it.
Timing belt/water pump should be replaced at 100,000 miles.
Whether you do the plugs or have them done, be sure a small dab of anti-seize compound is on the new plug threads.
Vwildes1 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Oct 2016, 09:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good responses...

If the plug is cross thread it will come out with out having to remove the head, The thing is that you will need to repair the damaged threads. The best way IMO is with a time sert.

Please do not take this wrong but if you are asking these questions than you are not experienced with the problem and a repair . I recommend to seek a shop that will help with your problem and can do a repair that should be good without having to remove the head. Than if the time comes that the head does need to be removed for other problems than you can do a better thread repair on the spark plug area if needed.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Oct 2016, 05:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Have you tried the tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen... trick? Sometimes rocking a stuck fastener or spark plug will break it free.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 08:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys/gals. I'm a do the simple maintenance/ repair person. Perfectly willing to get down and dirty with stuff but VERY willing to say that I don't have a clue. Belong to the generation that my dad felt if I was going to own a car I had better be able to take care of it. So, yes I am looking for a reliable Mopar mechanic (an honest one).

Anyone out there from the Vancouver, Washington area with a recommendation?

Oh, the car only has 82k and was really taken care of so I'm not sure that the water pump and timing belt need to be addressed yet but I will definitely keep it in mind.

Oh, by the way - what is the gap for the plugs? The owners manual and car sticker say 0.50 but I've seen posts recommend from 0.42 to 0.45. The car is a GT 2.4L High Output Turbo and is running rough again after about a week with 3 new plugs and new wires

Last edited by Vwildes1; 13 Oct 2016 at 08:24 am. Reason: Add information
Old 13 Oct 2016, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Single ground electrode with available adjustable gaping .042 Turbo for best performance.
chuzz and Vwildes1 like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Oct 2016, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, back with an update. Finally found someone to address the stuck plug and glad that I did. The error code was back and running rough again. The old plug is out and found that the head gasket has a leak (oil on the plug). The repair is happening on Monday. I'm having him put in new Champion Platinum plugs since the others were not at the recommended .042 gap and I just want to start fresh.

Next project will be removing the yellow pollen stains from the rag top and deciding whether to "spot" repair the scratched paint or save for full body paint. Any thoughts on that? The paint and body are in great shape except for one ugly scratch on the drivers door and lots of little light scratches that look like maybe belt buckle or snap scratches.

Is there something you would recommend for the black trim around the windows? It has spotting on it that doesn't come off when washed and dried.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 06:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwildes1 View Post
Hi, back with an update. Finally found someone to address the stuck plug and glad that I did. The error code was back and running rough again. The old plug is out and found that the head gasket has a leak (oil on the plug). The repair is happening on Monday. I'm having him put in new Champion Platinum plugs since the others were not at the recommended .042 gap and I just want to start fresh.

Next project will be removing the yellow pollen stains from the rag top and deciding whether to "spot" repair the scratched paint or save for full body paint. Any thoughts on that? The paint and body are in great shape except for one ugly scratch on the drivers door and lots of little light scratches that look like maybe belt buckle or snap scratches.

Is there something you would recommend for the black trim around the windows? It has spotting on it that doesn't come off when washed and dried.
Was the thread cross threaded and if so was time sert put in it?
Vwildes1 likes this.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 12:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Oil on the plug? Do you mean on the top or on the electrodes? Either way, this is not an indication of a head gasket issue.
If it's oil on the top portion (by the hex and maybe on the white insulator), it's just leaky spark plug tube seals. MUCH simpler and cheaper than a head gasket.
Vwildes1 likes this.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No, not cross threaded. At least the mechanic just said that the threads were not damaged. He did say that it was a VERY old plug and the electrode (thin wire) was completely gone. The oil and brown/black burn was the full length of the plug but the "wet/shiny " oil was on the white insulator. 2 of the 3 plugs that came out before also looked burned and brown. I've ever seen plugs that nasty looking before but all of my prior cars were old school - no turbo, had a carburetor, etc and plugs, points, etc got changed every 12k miles or so.