PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

 
Like Tree6Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14 Oct 2016, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 17
Unhappy Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

Hi all!

I have a 07 touring edition, automatic non turbo. I will start by saying I need to replace motor mounts and not sure if this is causing these other issues.

Check engine light comes on randomly 2 times over the past week or so but throws no codes. I did the disconnect battery trick and it went away for about a week (not the best thing to do I know).

Now, last night my son was driving home from work and to avoid a idiot that blew through a stop sign he swerved and nailed a curb going 25-30. Gear shifter goes into reverse fine but has trouble after that...tight with a sort of clicking/popping noise.

Any thoughts would be great appreciated....Thanks a million!!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2016, 06:27 am
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 4,692
Default Re: Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

Sounds to me like he damaged an axle. I suggest you check the suspension on the side that hit the curb and take a real good look at the axle. Perhaps the entire Lower Control Arm shifted position and is now jammed in a little too far? I don't know, as I'm NOT a mechanic. I'm just guessing here as a lot of us old shade tree hillbillies do.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2016, 07:42 am
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

Nailing a curb at 25-30 will require repair, and that will probably cure the transmission selector.
Go to an autozone or AdvanceAuto and they can read codes for free.
I have read that sometimes an error exists long enough to trigger Check engine light, but not long enough to set a code - Does light stay on or just come on momentarily? If light stays out after disconnecting battery, then whatever problem triggered the CEL is no longer there.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2016, 09:50 am
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,642
Default Re: Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

if the engine light came on there will be codes. Use a diagnostic tool.

Disconnecting the battery only shut the engine light off, it did not cure the problem that is why the engine light returned because there was an active fault. I keep responding to people not to do that kind of procedure of disconnecting a battery to think they are "re-setting the ECU/PCM. Most of the time you only acerbate or delay the repair of a problem. LEAVE THE BATTERY ALONE unless you are checking for charging system issues,changing the battery, charging and/or load testing a battery, installing electrical components that it safer to disconnect the battery, storing the vehicular...I think some get the idea?
thecabinguy likes this.
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2016, 10:11 am
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,265
Default Re: Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by desarae77 View Post
Hi all!

I have a 07 touring edition, automatic non turbo. I will start by saying I need to replace motor mounts and not sure if this is causing these other issues.

Check engine light comes on randomly 2 times over the past week or so but throws no codes. I did the disconnect battery trick and it went away for about a week (not the best thing to do I know).

Now, last night my son was driving home from work and to avoid a idiot that blew through a stop sign he swerved and nailed a curb going 25-30. Gear shifter goes into reverse fine but has trouble after that...tight with a sort of clicking/popping noise.

Any thoughts would be great appreciated....Thanks a million!!

Of course, there is a good chance that the check engine light issue is separate from the gear selector issue.

In all likelihood, the car's computer does register of trouble code when your check engine light comes on. However, the problem that caused the code may be periodic and quickly goes away. After a specific amount of driving, the computer then resolves the registered code and it's gone. The length of time that the check engine stays on may be different than this. Thus, there may be not a code to read even though the light is on. At least this may happen for a short period. I've seen this many times with periodic issues like this.

As already suggested, you will need a good code reader to assure there is no code and to erase any codes to see if they then return. It's unclear from your post whether you already have such a code reader or if you are using the "Key Dance" to try and read any codes. If you need a good code reader, I just got one from Amazon with many advanced features for only $17. Besides standard codes, it reads transmission codes, provides readiness tests and erases codes as needed. And it tells you what each code means. These things are getting better and cheaper all the time. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


On the gear selector issue, I agree with the others that you may have some damage from the curb incident. If me, I would visually inspect for damage that might be binding the drive train or has allowed the transmission to shift from its correct position. It's also possible that pushing very hard on the brake pedal has damaged the brake release for the shifter. This would also make it hard to shift. You can tell this by taking the shift cable loose from the transmission below the air filter housing. Then see if the shifter works normally or if it still binds up.
chuzz likes this.
__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Oct 2016 at 10:17 am.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2016, 12:54 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Az
Posts: 168
Default Re: Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

Check engine light on intermitly could just be the gas cap ( i always do the easy stuff first)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2016, 01:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,298
Default Re: Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

I would suggest a OBDII Scan tool over a reader. It's better to have the most information you can get when you are working on a PT Cruiser. Only a home mechanic would tell you to only get an OBDII Scan reader.

Harbor Freight has an OBDII Scan Tool for a reasonable price.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...bdii+scan+tool
NitroPT likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Oct 2016 at 03:10 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2016, 05:43 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,265
Default Re: Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest a OBDII Scan tool over a reader. It's better to have the most information you can get when you are working on a PT Cruiser. Only a home mechanic would tell you to only get an OBDII Scan reader.

Harbor Freight has an OBDII Scan Tool for a reasonable price.
Search results for: 'obdii scan tool'
You are correct. There's very little value in a high-dollar scanner to a home mechanic. When it comes to a PT Cruiser, a good reader or cell phone app can do just about anything worth doing even for me.

PS: The terms "reader" and "scanner" appear to be interchangeable to many companies that make these. It's the features and their usefulness that should be used to discriminate between them.
__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Oct 2016 at 05:50 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2016, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,298
Default Re: Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You are correct. There's very little value in a high-dollar scanner to a home mechanic. When it comes to a PT Cruiser, a good reader or cell phone app can do just about anything worth doing even for me.

PS: The terms "reader" and "scanner" appear to be interchangeable to many companies that make these. It's the features and their usefulness that should be used to discriminate between them.
The Federal Government (EPA) regulations concerning emission controlled vehicles basically "dictates" that you can not "clear" a readiness file in any vehicles engine computer operating control unit (ECU,PCM,etc.) of those vehicles that will be sold and operated in the United States of America. You can however "re-set" it to a state of "fault" to allow its system to check for proper operation functions of the various emission systems check for "READINESS". After it goes through the driving cycles you can check your readiness files to make sure it will pass smog before having a smog check.

I would recommend that if someone wants to be able to reset a readiness file in the PT Cruiser to get a OBDII Scan Tool as some OBDII Scan readers may not have this capability. My OBDII Scan Tool works great on reseting readiness files. Its so nice to have the smog technican say to me "Good job, I have never been able to find any problems with your PT Cruisers!".
NitroPT likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Oct 2016 at 08:35 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2016, 11:40 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,265
Default Re: Check engine light, no codes & Gear shift issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The Federal Government (EPA) regulations concerning emission controlled vehicles basically "dictates" that you can not "clear" a readiness file in any vehicles engine computer operating control unit (ECU,PCM,etc.) of those vehicles that will be sold and operated in the United States of America. You can however "re-set" it to a state of "fault" to allow its system to check for proper operation functions of the various emission systems check for "READINESS". After it goes through the driving cycles you can check your readiness files to make sure it will pass smog before having a smog check.

I would recommend that if someone wants to be able to reset a readiness file in the PT Cruiser to get a OBDII Scan Tool as some OBDII Scan readers may not have this capability. My OBDII Scan Tool works great on reseting readiness files. Its so nice to have the smog technican say to me "Good job, I have never been able to find any problems with your PT Cruisers!".
All that sounds great if you believe you must cheat on some kind of emissions test to keep your poorly running car on the road. It's a likely win for you even if it's a loss for the environment.

But for those of us wanting to check codes to diagnose problems with a car and/or assure there aren't any codes, as in this thread, resetting readiness files doesn't mean much. Instead, we home mechanics need tool to help us keep our cars in good running condition. Then our brothers and sisters that live in non-attainment states can pass our emissions tests honestly and everyone wins.
__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Oct 2016 at 11:48 pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
check engine light on, car wont shift out of second gear. chriscam Tech & Performance Forum 7 19 Aug 2013 04:52 pm
Check engine & gear shift problem sunny8088 Tech & Performance Forum 11 07 Nov 2012 08:35 am
Dropped into 3rd gear, no power, check engine light dhtmldude Tech & Performance Forum 3 03 May 2010 02:45 pm
No Codes yet check engine and oil light won't go off Simple2sing General Turbo Discussions 2 26 Mar 2009 07:26 pm
Check engine light on - & NO CODES?!?! CraigO Turbo Performance 9 20 Dec 2003 02:42 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors