Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Flashing Engine Light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2016, 02:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Flashing Engine Light

This morning I went to move my '05 Touring out of the driveway to make room for a car coming in. As I started the car, it started to shake like it was running on 2 cylinders. No light at all. I did run the engine for about 15 seconds to see what may happen. That's when the flashing engine light came on, so I immediately turned the engine off. Did the key dance but all I got was the P0481, a fan relay code for the high speed fan. A new relay was put in about a month ago and all fine. But the code is still there, plus why no new engine code for the severely shaking engine with the flashing light? After a few minutes I decided to try the engine just one more time. The car started and ran perfectly with no engine light flashing. Took it for a little drive and all okay. I tried the high speed fan by turning on my A/C and it came on just like it's supposed to.

My concern is why the rough running with flashing light (with no code) then after restarting it runs fine? Any ideas? This one has me stumped. Thanks for any help in advance.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock

Last edited by thecabinguy; 15 Oct 2016 at 03:09 pm.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Flashing Engine Light

P0481 - High Speed Fan Relay Control Circuit:

Possible Causes:

1. High Speed fan relay power circuit is open from the relay to fused power
2. High High Speed fan relay control circuit is open or shorted to chassis ground
3. Fan relay failed
4. PCM has failed.

You might have two issues.
I would suggest first fixing what is triggering the P0481 to come on. Check your radiator fan circuit and make sure the wiring is good.

If one of your fuel injectors is dirty it might allow too much unburnt fuel to go out the exhaust and cause the flashing engine lights.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Oct 2016 at 04:01 pm.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 04:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with Steve about the fuel injector. Maybe it had a small piece of trash in there and when you let it run, it blew it out. IDK, just speculating.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 04:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thank you, ptcruisersteve and chuzz for your help. I thought about maybe an injector but a little stumped by that in that I have only used Chevron gas in this car for the past 5 years or so (except in May when I was gone a whole month on a vacation), and a couple of months ago just for giggles I ran a bottle of Techron through. I'm hoping maybe just a little particle of something was in there and got shot out. But still, why not a code thrown if it ran badly?

I will check the wiring and grounds for the fan since the code still shows. It works perfect, however. Thanks again for your help.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock