Advertisements
motor mount, transmission mount and torque struts

Like Tree5Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2016, 11:28 am
Young Cruiser

Default motor mount, transmission mount and torque struts

So, I am trying to research all things concerning the above topic and I need to ask members on this forum... "Are the aftermarket mounts and struts comparable or as good as the oem products?" Quite a bit cheaper, but are they worth it? Are there better aftermarket ones than others? And just because amazon can sell some things for 1/4 the cost of others doesn't mean I'm going to buy it.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: motor mount, transmission mount and torque struts

ANCHOR mounts are used on most all general automotive forums and recommended most be the members on them.

To be very clear, ANCHOR will use the exact factory specification unless they find improvements to be made with all their mounts.

anchor-online.com : welcome to anchor industries

There is lots of opinions about this subject. I would recommend to us the search feature and you will find this very old and hashed over topic!!!!!!!!!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Oct 2016, 08:44 am
Young Cruiser

Well, I took off the upper and lower engine torque struts two days ago for inspection and found them both to be cracked and broken in the rubber bushing area. Ordered Anchor products from my local auto parts store and installed them yesterday. I found it to be an easy job, even getting the top one out and back in without removing anything else.

I did the alignment using 4.7 inches center to center from the bolt to the little hole that holds the fuel line support.

It cured the "shudder upon acceleration" by about 90 per cent. But also, at the same time, the replacement of the struts made all contact points more solid and positive, thereby letting vibrations of the drive train flow more easily into the rest of the vehicle. So, sitting at idle it is not as smooth as before. I'm glad I did the job.

Does anyone know what the little hunk of metal that mounts on the end of the upper torque strut with two t30 screws is for?? Looks like an afterthought for a vibration dampener to me. Kinda silly looking thing.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It was told to me by a Chrysler engineer (EP) that it was a way to help with harmonic vibrations at very low engine speed? Even he said that he never actually got to see the design specification and test sheet on it.

Only way to see if it really works is to use a vibration measuring tool.

I looked into this once and could find no facts to prove it worked or did not. So generally if the mount I get to replace on an engine has it I leave it if if does not I do not R&R from the old mount to new mount.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Oct 2016, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have the pencil strut that is attached to the lower motor mount? Some members says strengthening of the front sub-frame always help but some mechanics don't bother to put it back on.

pencil_strut.jpg
Old 22 Oct 2016, 01:08 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes, my cruiser does have the pencil strut and I did put it back on.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 02:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourhar View Post
Well, I took off the upper and lower engine torque struts two days ago for inspection and found them both to be cracked and broken in the rubber bushing area. Ordered Anchor products from my local auto parts store and installed them yesterday. I found it to be an easy job, even getting the top one out and back in without removing anything else.

I did the alignment using 4.7 inches center to center from the bolt to the little hole that holds the fuel line support.

It cured the "shudder upon acceleration" by about 90 per cent. But also, at the same time, the replacement of the struts made all contact points more solid and positive, thereby letting vibrations of the drive train flow more easily into the rest of the vehicle. So, sitting at idle it is not as smooth as before. I'm glad I did the job.

Does anyone know what the little hunk of metal that mounts on the end of the upper torque strut with two t30 screws is for?? Looks like an afterthought for a vibration dampener to me. Kinda silly looking thing.
The OEM torque strut has some extra casting on the end, supposedly to help with vibration dampening.

Some of the after-market ones have a piece of metal screwed on the tab

Last edited by rckstein; 22 Oct 2016 at 02:21 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^ does anyone really want to correct this guy...
It really does not matter but I do think it is funny!

05274903AD/04668195/04668195AB/04668195AC/05274903AA/

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Oct 2016, 05:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
The OEM torque strut has some extra casting on the end, supposedly to help with vibration dampening.

Some of the after-market ones have a piece of metal screwed on the tab

The pictures you show are the lower torque strut. I was talking about the upper torque strut.

But since you show those pictures, it's interesting how they look now. I bought the anchor brand and the lower torque strut I received does not have the screw-on metal plate nor does it have the extra blob of cast metal outboard of the large bushing mount. My guess is that it didn't do what it was intended to do in the first place.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 06:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There was a difference with the old and new struts with me too.

I think the new ones work just fine. They are so cheap and you now know how easy they are to replace that if you have to do it 2-3 more times in the car's life, it won't be a problem. If these don't last long, get the parts at Autozone. They'll cost 3X as much for the same parts you can get at Rock Auto ($30 vs $10), but have a lifetime warranty where you bring the old ones in and they'll exchange them for new ones.
Closed Thread