PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser front end problems

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2016, 02:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Cruiser front end problems

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser and have a front end problem. When I'm driving down the road up to 40 mph, the driver side wheel would shake or rattle slightly. If I turn the steering wheel rapidly to the left and right, it would stop. I've had the front wheel bearings replaced and it still does it. I was told it was the struts. Could it be the wheel bearing again, or the CV joint, or the struts? Need help! Thanks.
ptmort
Old 17 Oct 2016, 02:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser front end problems

Welcome to the forum from Texas. Please go to the new members section and tell us a little about yourself and a little more about your Cruiser. Being a 2002 we would like to know how many miles are on it. When you say slight shake or rattle, does it make noise? Is this the reason you put a wheel bearing on before? How long ago was that? There are many variables as to what could cause this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 17 Oct 2016, 02:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Have your tie-rods checked.

My '01 had a good wobble when I got it and it turned out 3 out of 4 tie-rod ends were bad @ 59K
Old 17 Oct 2016, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOS View Post
Have your tie-rods checked.

My '01 had a good wobble when I got it and it turned out 3 out of 4 tie-rod ends were bad @ 59K
Not a bad idea to check the ballpoints too.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Oct 2016, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

to VsandFords
The mechanic said the wheel bearings were bad, replaced them. That was about 3 weeks ago. Last week the drivers side wheel still made the light clicking or clunking sound at different times on the highway. When you moved the steering wheel back and forth quickly, the sound stops. Mechanic wants to replace the struts next.
I don't think that is it, but don't know if it is the tie rod ends, or? I'm disabled and can't get under the car to look at anything. Also I'm on Maui, so finding a place to fix the car is a chore in itself.
Help!
VsandFords likes this.
Old 17 Oct 2016, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

to VsandFords
The mechanic said the wheel bearings were bad, replaced them. That was about 3 weeks ago. Last week the drivers side wheel still made the light clicking or clunking sound at different times on the highway. When you moved the steering wheel back and forth quickly, the sound stops. Mechanic wants to replace the struts next.
I don't think that is it, but don't know if it is the tie rod ends, or? I'm disabled and can't get under the car to look at anything. Also I'm on Maui, so finding a place to fix the car is a chore in itself.
Help!
Old 18 Oct 2016, 08:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

Is there anywhere you can find an empty parking lot (like maybe a church) and do a few slow figure 8 turns with the windows down and radio off? If you're hearing clicking it's probably a half-shaft or drive axle if you prefer. Listen as you do the figure 8's for clicking. If you hear clicking, then have someone check the half-shafts. You may have a torn boot that could have slung all the grease out and now there's a dry joint. If not that, then it could be that the half shaft is just worn out. They're not real expensive here on the mainland, but I have no idea about parts prices there in Hawaii. I know everything's higher so be prepared to get the checkbook out. I don't know your zip code, so pulled up Autozone on Kailua-Kona and found this on prices. Please note that it depends on which side is defective. Only $3.00 difference either way. I hope this helps.
http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/c...false&model=cv
VsandFords likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 18 Oct 2016 at 08:52 am.
Old 18 Oct 2016, 12:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmort View Post
to VsandFords
Help!
If you just had the bearings replaced and you still have the sound, it doesn't seem that the bearing was the problem. The struts would only make a rattling or clunking sound when going over bumps or rough roads. It kind of sounds like the mechanic is doing the process of elimination repair.

Tie rods don't usually make a sound, they have slack causing the steering wheel to vibrate or jerk side to side. Chuzz may be on to something with the drive axle having a worn CV joint. Does the noise seem to be from something that is rotating? If so, you really only have the drive axle, bearing or brake rotor/pads.

Anybody out there that may know if we have any active members on Maui?

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 18 Oct 2016, 06:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Anyone remember what island GolfGirl was on? She hasn't been back since getting help on her PT.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 18 Oct 2016, 09:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Chuzz and Vsand Fords,
I'll try the parking lot movement. The steering wheel is ok, doesn't pull to either side or rattle. The sound is from the front driver side wheel. It happens on a smooth road. It clunks or rattles usually about 3 times. Like I said before, when it happens, I turn the steering wheel rapidly from left to right and it stops. The sound occurs more when I'm on a slight curve or turn the wheel slightly.
Prices aren't that expensive here, but a good mechanic is worth their weight in gold.
Thanks for the help.
ptmort