Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
NO Start NO crank!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2016, 11:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy NO Start NO crank!

MY 2004 PT cruiser will not start or turn over! My dash lights and head lights and radio will come on.The check engine light will stay on and also a little red light in the center of the dash stays blinking red. I don't know what this means. I had my battery tested at Napa and they said it was fully charged. I also had a friend of mine check my fuses, he said they were good except there wasn't any power getting to the PCM. I just spent over $ 850 in the shop. They replace the crank shaft sensor because it kept dying at stop lights. Two days later after it came back from the shop, I drove it down the road and it died wouldn't start. I had to have towed back to my house. This has been 3 weeks now and it still wont start. Please help,

Party Cruiser

Last edited by partycruiser; 25 Oct 2016 at 12:00 am.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 12:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: NO Start NO crank!

Have you been using the same ignition key when the red security light begin to blink?

Can you still unlock or lock the doors?

Do you have an OBDII Scan Tool? Does it light up when you hook up the OBDII Scan Tool? If so is there any engine trouble codes?

In the manual:
"During normal operation, the Theft Alarm / Immobilizer Light will come on for three (3) seconds immediately after the ignition switch is turned on for a bulb check. Afterwords, if the bulb remains on, this indicates a problem with the electronics. If the bulb begins to flash after the bulb check, this indicates that an invalid key has been used to start the vehicle. Both of these conditions will result in the engine being shut off after two (2) seconds of running. Keep in mind that a key which has not been programmed is also considered an invalid key even if it is cut to fit the ignition lock cylinder for that vehicle.

What exactly did the shop replace or repair? This is important as we need to know all the details leading up to the no crank no start condition. $850 dollars is a lot of money for repairs so do list all the repairs that was done. We are here to help you.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Oct 2016 at 01:17 am.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 02:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: NO Start NO crank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Have you been using the same ignition key when the red security light begin to blink?

Can you still unlock or lock the doors?

Do you have an OBDII Scan Tool? Does it light up when you hook up the OBDII Scan Tool? If so is there any engine trouble codes?

In the manual:
"During normal operation, the Theft Alarm / Immobilizer Light will come on for three (3) seconds immediately after the ignition switch is turned on for a bulb check. Afterwords, if the bulb remains on, this indicates a problem with the electronics. If the bulb begins to flash after the bulb check, this indicates that an invalid key has been used to start the vehicle. Both of these conditions will result in the engine being shut off after two (2) seconds of running. Keep in mind that a key which has not been programmed is also considered an invalid key even if it is cut to fit the ignition lock cylinder for that vehicle.

What exactly did the shop replace or repair? This is important as we need to know all the details leading up to the no crank no start condition. $850 dollars is a lot of money for repairs so do list all the repairs that was done. We are here to help you.
PTCRUISERSTEVE is correct...
even to have a chance of starting 3 things must be programmed as a group ECM-(computer) SKIM (security key Immoblizer) and the Key (Large grey head key has a chip )
Try your spare grey head key, if you have one. Do you have a remote start installed?

Some later year PT Cruisers had problems with static locking out, or damaging the SKIM Module causing the red security light to illuminate and either a no start or and no crank.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 25 Oct 2016 at 02:13 am.