Advertisements
Coolant Temp Sensor Question - Overheating

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2016, 08:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant Temp Sensor Question - Overheating

Good Morning everyone,
I've posted a few times concerning my overheating 2008 PT. I've replaced and/or checked everything i can think of. I need to do a test for compression gasses in the coolant but haven't been able to yet. However, I have realized that my problem is air keeps getting in the coolant. I've devised a way to bleed the system whenever it's needed. I connect a clear tube to the bleeder valve and run it to an empty coolant bottle. I then start the car with the bleeder valve open and watch the bubbles flow out of the system. About twice during this procedure, I stop the car and pour the coolant that has come out back into the radiator. I let the car come to temp each time. After about two rounds of this, the bubbles stop coming....success! However, it seems as though more air continues to get in. I changed the Coolant Temp Sensor a while back and, as we all know, getting that damn thing out and back in again is a pain. I'm not confident at all that the new one is screwed in as well as it should be. My question is.....if the Coolant Temp Sensor wasn't screwed back in all the way, could it 1)lose coolant or 2)let air into the system? The sensor is screwed in enough to stay in place but I'm sure it could be tighter. Any ideas?
Old 25 Oct 2016, 08:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant Temp Sensor Question - Overheating

yes If the sensor isn't properly installed the threads can leak air into the system when cold and leak out coolant when hot. Check the area around the threads and If you see a white deposit that's the leak. Check the hoses and around the radiator for the white deposit, those could also be leaking.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

I looked all around it for dry coolant. The problem is that it's directly under the filler neck and every time I overheat, coolant comes out of the radiator cap...dripping directly down on the same area. Last night, while I was bleeding the air, I noticed a small drip down there when it got to temp. I carefully put my finger under the sensor and it dripped hot coolant on me. It would appear as though it was leaking. I'm really hoping that I found my problem. I'll let you know. Thanks!
Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest doing a coolant compression test. This will tell you if the engine coolant system is sealed or not.

Second I would suggest is checking the radiator cap. If the radiator cap is not working properly it was could cause the engine to overheat on a hot day.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Oct 2016 at 12:17 pm.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Look...you have a 2008 engine, your bleeding technique although very ingenious is NOT the problem. H20 means there is always oxygen in the coolant. The water pump can start cavitation and oxygen bubbles can fill the system without cause for over heating in most circumstances as one example of air in the cooling system. I think I mentioned that the use of an external hand held thermal tool is needed for better evaluation of the temperature concern.

If you have already ruled out by way of checking for exhaust gases in the cooling system then you need to move on to other cooling system regulators on the check list.

Although you change the temperature sensor without the use of a hand held or mechanic temperature measuring device you can not confirm its health.

Coolant temperature concerns are among the easiest to solve with a little patients and reading how to first form a check list of all that contribute to temperature regulating and double checking each one as functioning.

I might also suggest IMHO.....for the sake of the forum maybe consider to stay with one thread about your temperature problems ( you have started 4 now) as these simply make it harder for new and old members to find useful information if to many threads of the same kind of thread help wanted and from the same member are started on the same concern.

At this point I recommend to go back to your original thread and re-read what members were already suggesting to help you and start over again as if it were your first attempt to solve the problem.

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 Oct 2016 at 09:43 am.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest doing a coolant compression test. This will tell you if the engine coolant system is sealed or not.

Second I would suggest is checking the radiator cap. If the radiator cap is not working properly it was cause the engine to overheat.
+1
Most big chain parts stores have this tool in their loaner program. You pay a deposit that you get back upon return and it will test the system and the cap. You don't have to wait until the car gets hot to build pressure and should find the leak. If air is getting in, the system isn't sealed, you just have to find out where.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

This question really has nothing to do with the previous ones. I'm not asking about any of that stuff again. I've pinpointed a specific issue that may be the culprit and all that other stuff would only confuse the matter. I asked a specific question....can the Coolant temp sensor not being tight let air in or coolant out? Simple and effective, yes or no. I didn't ask any other questions in this post and I'm not looking for answers to questions from other posts. I know that I, for one new member, find threads that detail my specific problem (one problem= one question/answer) the most helpful. The least helpful thing you can do is police the forum and not answer the specific question being asked. Also, I've already replaced the radiator cap. Thank you.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJenn74us View Post
...can the Coolant temp sensor not being tight let air in or coolant out?
Answer: YES
Old 25 Oct 2016, 10:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

*If all else if functioning properly with the engine....Technically if you are using a 185F thermostat and the ambient do not exceed 70F you could drive around all day with the radiator cap off!!!!

Asking one question per thread is not practical and I am not POLICING the thread or forum. That is why I said IMHO regarding the starting of thread topic from a single member on the same relevant issue !!!!!!!!

As for your single question do you think a lose part below the water line is not going to leak or release coolant and/or create a vacuum from expansion and contracting principles of heat and pressures of a liquid in a control operating environment?
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here maybe this will help you?

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...c-car-guy.html
specifically:
https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/wh...gine-overheats

Tags
coolant, over-heating, sensor, temp