PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need a diagram for part.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Need a diagram for part.

Let me see if I can explain this. You know the upper right motor mount has 3 bolts. The one rear, and the two fronts. I discovered while changing the old mount for a new one that the most forward bolt has stripped threads, and the bolt in the hole just spins. The one next to it is fine and very tight, as is the single bolt in the rear. I need to replace the receiving flange on the engine so I can secure the two front mount bolts. Is this possible, I was hoping there might be some sort of diagram to show this flange Thanks for any help!
Old 25 Oct 2016, 11:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Need a diagram for part.

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 11:50 am.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 05:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the diagram, but I can't make heads or tails of it. It's the right number of bolts. Maybe it is called an 'engine support bracket' ?
Old 26 Oct 2016, 06:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
Thanks for the diagram, but I can't make heads or tails of it. It's the right number of bolts. Maybe it is called an 'engine support bracket' ?
That mount, bolted to the engine with three bolts is the mount for the power steering pump and holds the upper strut mounting for the motor, the two holes you don't see because they are drilled vertical
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 26 Oct 2016 at 06:50 am.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 06:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Is this the part you are talking about?

Here's what it looks like on the engine.

If so, you will need to jack the engine up like this to get the three long bolts out to remove it.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Oct 2016 at 07:04 am.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 06:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

YES YES YES, the middle picture shows what I'm talking about. The threaded hole on the right is the one that is cross threaded on mine. What do I have to do in order to replace it? What should I call it at the Dealers Parts Counter. Maybe I'll print a picture of it and take it to them. THANK YOU!

Last edited by red98gt; 26 Oct 2016 at 06:24 pm.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 06:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 11:50 am.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
YES YES YES, the middle picture shows what I'm talking about. The threaded hole on the right is the one that is cross threaded on mine. What do I have to do in order to replace it? What should I call it at the Dealers Parts Counter. Maybe I'll print a picture of it and take it to them. THANK YOU!
Okay, so one of the top torque strut bolt holes is cross threaded?

First, that is the same part as shown in my first photo. And replacing it involves what is shown in my third photo. It's very hard work.

If me, I would just get a tap and see if I can clean up the threads in the hole. Chances are that the threads are not damaged all the way to the bottom. This means a longer bolt may hold just fine once the threads are cleaned up. That's the easy solution and the one I figure most shops would try as well. It's half an hour of work to clean the threads versus six hours work to replace the mount plate.

And here's the deal. Even if the threads are all gone, it's just a matter of using a slightly larger tap and bolt. But as I said, chances are that there are still good existing threads down deeper in the hole.

PS: Those two top torque strut bolts are M10X1.50X60. At least they have been on my PT's. So you would likely need a M10x1.50 tap to clean out the holes. And you can measure the depth of the hole to see how long a bolt it might accept. Plus, the original bolt might be long enough or might not depending on how deep it is to good threads after cleanup.

rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Oct 2016 at 07:17 pm.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 05:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks again for your reply. After I found out the front bolt was loose. and not knowing yet that the treads were stripped)I took a socket and attempted to tighten it. At first, about 3 ratchets, the bolt seemed like it was tightening. Then it went loose and spins. Believe it or not, I went to Home Depo and bought a longer bolt. It too tightens after 3 ratchets then spins. I guess the tap is my answer. If my threads are gone, what would be the next larger (not longer) size bolt to tap. Is there such a thing as a tap extension to get down in there? Can I ride with only one bolt? THANK YOU!
Old 27 Oct 2016, 07:45 am
Young Cruiser

The part that attaches to that bracket which has the stripped hole is a "torque strut". It has a lot of pressure (torque) on it when the vehicle is shifting from gear to gear and from drive to reverse. It is possible you could still drive with only one bolt holding the upper torque strut to the bracket, but personally, I would not like to take the chance.

If you choose to tap new threads to the next larger size, you will probably need to drill out the thru-hole on the torque strut mounting block to accommodate the larger bolt.