Question wanting to change timing belt and water pump

Randy here,
new to forum,
bought a 2002 pt limited non turbo with 60,000 on it ,a couple years ago
now has 96,000
wanting to change timing belt and water pump myself
I KNOW its a 8 out of 10 hardness job but i want to try
Couple Questions
1...gates or dayco or what do you trust ?
2 should I replace seals and covers...they have a kit that has new covers
and seals
Is all that needed ?
saw another post that said oil leaks in seals also cracked covers.
wanting to know what you would do ?
My father always told me "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
BUT this is a lot of labor to change timing belt and water pump
Thank you for your feedback
Old 26 Oct 2016, 07:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: wanting to change timing belt and water pump

Welcome to the form from Western PA. If I was close to FL I would help, or at least direct you in the learning curve.
Your going to need some tools, help from the forum, and patience. Take your time and all happen with satisfaction..

I would change the spark plug seals... easier than you think.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 26 Oct 2016, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

My choice was Gates. You can't go wrong with parts actually made by Americans along with our brother and sisters in Mexico and Canada. According to NAFTA, they are Americans too when it comes to labeling a part's place of origin. So it's all good.

RockAuto online has some pretty great pricing on these kits from Gates and others. They should come with a water pump, idler pulley, belt tensioner and the timing belt itself. The Gates kit will also have a sticker to put under the hood with the date the work was done.

While doing the job, I decided to change the front crankshaft seal too. This involves an extra step to remove the lower timing belt sprocket. But it's not too bad. Another item to change while "in there" is the center motor mount on the passenger side. RockAuto has good deals on these too. I also used this opportunity to change the drive belts and radiator hoses too. I used all Gates blue racing belts and Goodyear blue hoses. I changed the thermostat too.

If you are in no hurry, this is also a great time to change the valve cover gasket and camshaft seals too along with the spark plugs and plug wires. I found it was cheaper to just buy a whole head gasket set to do this even though I didn't need the head gasket it's self. However, except for the camshaft seals, you can do the rest of this anytime since the timing belt doesn't need to be removed.

BTarb24 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Oct 2016 at 07:43 pm.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 08:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Gates made the originals. I also changed the the crank seal. Look in the performance section at the How to sticky and find the timing belt threads and look at my thread on the harmonic balancer for lots of pictures and tool help as well as tips that come in handy later. Document your work with you phone camera. Don't forget to take pics of the new belt timing marks before you close up. In case it should come into question later.
ptprice and BTarb24 like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Oct 2016, 10:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest Airtex waterpump, OEM crankshaft seals, Timken cam seals, Timken idler and tensioner, and Gates belts. Don't forget to replace the center motor mount.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 11:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: wanting to change timing belt and water pump

Along with all the other suggestions you have been given I would also recommend 2 very good videos on you tube of the job. I feel both are excellent help and one goes a step further and shows cylinder head removal and replacement. First go to the you tube website, if of course you have high speed internet, and in the search bar type in "Motor City Mechanic Pt Cruiser". That guy is a Chrysler dealer mechanic and shows good detail of the timing belt and water pump replacement with good tips. Another would be "Robinson's Auto Service" on you tube as well. He does a very outstanding job of explaining the steps and includes the head gasket and cylinder head replacement. I like both videos. One of them is a seven part series but each segment is around 8 minutes in duration. Hope it is of help to you. Keep in mind belt tensioners were different on early model Pt Cruisers than the newer version but as a whole the process is still very informative.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 07:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

SOOO BIG's road side timing belt replacement after a belt failure as I pulled into a service station in Kingsland, Ga. used the DAYCO kit from AutoZone. Reasonable priced and a good warranty All parts by OE suppliers. Dayco's extended warranty provided."Dayco will extend the warranty of the parts within the kit to meet Automotive Manufactures Original Recommended Timing Belt Mileage Replacement Interval. If no recommended replacement interval is indicated, usual trade practice calls for replacement at 60,000 miles." Not bad!

Your smart to do it before your caught with your pants down! I reference to the tale of the "lady of the night incident" at the motel on the first night of the layover for the fix!

Kit number WP265K4A
water pump, water pump kit, timing belt, camshaft belt idler, camshaft belt tensioner.

SOOO BIG's purrin' like a kitten and I'm a happy boy!

Good luck with your fix, keep your pants up!

Happy Ptin', ptprice

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0923.jpg (94.9 KB, 1 views)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 09:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the piney woods of east Texas. I replaced my timing belt in August after it broke reaching 70mph on the highway. Yes it is a process and high on the difficulty scale. A lot of jacking the engine up and down with very limited working room. I used a Gates belt/pump kit, because that is what we stock in our D/C at this time. I also replaced the cam and crank seals along with the valve cover gasket which includes spark plug seals. IMO the most difficult was setting the timing (lining up the marks). It took me 4 tries to get it. There are tons of useful info on this site and members who have "been there, done that" willing to help.
[IMG][/IMG]

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 27 Oct 2016, 10:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from NYC.

Did my t/b job this summer and it is a lot of work. I went with the gates kit, replacing the belt, water pump, idler and tensioner. Also did the seals. Took me and my nephew about twelve hours start to finish. There is a good bit of labor involved in getting at the belt and water pump, you would be wise to change all the seals and the center motor mount while your in there as it isn't much more in terms of expense for parts or much more time. Would also recommend changing the alternator and PS A/C belts, too.

There are numerous threads on here about various ways to do the job, read them all so you will know what tools are necessary, tips and tricks to getting things out of the way, lining up the cams, etc.

And take plenty of pictures while you're doing the job. It helps immensely when you start putting things back together.
Old 29 Oct 2016, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: wanting to change timing belt and water pump

Thank you PT Cruisers
I think you're giving me the confidence that I can do this myself
I just replaced 4 rotors rear calipers and new ceramic pads myself feeling a little more confident now
My mechanic told me they're horrible to work on and he doesn't like them
But this is my first PT and I love it it's easy to work on I think and parts are readily available and we're looking at buying another Cruiser
Found a 2006 with 69000 miles Turbo I'm probably going to buy it then we'll have 2 in the family
Thank you again guys for all the support and I will keep you informed about the timing belt replacement
I'm definitely going to change extra parts that you mentioned