PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
At witts End

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2016, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry At witts End

I have a 2004 automatic 2.4L 2429CC 148Cu. In. l4 GAS DOHC Turbocharge that has never had a problem. Two weeks ago it sputtered and died. Codes showed nothing. After replacing plugs, points, electrical harness, coil, etc the mechanic said he found two wired that shorted out the cpu. He stated that two cylinders had not been firing. Replaced it. Car ran all the way home (7 miles) and died. I think I have the same symptoms, but it does show codes that reflect multiple cylinder misfired and faults in both o2 sensors. I forget the actual codes but they were easily found in this Forum. My question is, what could be the problem??? I have read everything until I now have a headache and cant think straight.I have thrown enough money at it. The mechanic has the car again after I had it towed back.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: At witts End

First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Two ideas pop into my head that might help get the ball rolling.

Number one is that the replacement PCM might have died. It happens. If so, hopefully it is under warranty.

And second, the mechanic simply didn't find all the frayed and/or broken wires that caused the problem to begin with. That would be my first thing I'd look for. And if so, it may also mean that the original PCM was not bad.

It should be noted that I am a Safety Engineer among other things but haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was a not-so-wee tot before college. And even then, it was mainly big trucks and industrial equipment. Nowadays I enjoy working on these little toy cars for fun and relaxation.

PS: Bad crank or camshaft sensor might give these symptoms too. But normally, they throw codes that indicate it or at least they throw timing-related codes.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Oct 2016 at 07:26 pm.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 08:20 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum
Old 28 Oct 2016, 07:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

You need to find a real mechanic. Whoever "worked" on your car isn't one if they told you and charged you for replacing the points. These cars DO NOT have points. The ignition system is all electronic.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 08:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

If the engine died as you described there will be DTC. If you used a Diagnostic Scanning Tool you need to make sure thier was continuity to power on the tool and than check for DTC. If no DTC you need to go further in the PCM and check the readiness area. If there is still nothing to report than attempt to start the engine. If no start you should get at least 1 DTC. If no DTC than you may have a completely failed PCM which would be unusual. At this point I would suggest to have a shop use a DBRII/III Diagnostic tool to verify the PCM health.
chuzz likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Oct 2016, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
First, welcome

It should be noted that NitroPT is a ASE Master Technician L1 L2 certified among other things and has worked as a professional mechanic since he was a not-so-wee tot before and after college. And even then, it was mainly Hot Rods and daily Drivers. Nowadays he enjoys working on these little toy cars for fun and relaxation.

PS: Bad crank or camshaft sensor might give these symptoms too. But normally, they throw codes that indicate it,

Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Oct 2016, 09:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

If you're not showing any codes or a CEL, then I'd suggest you unplug the cam sensor and then try starting it. That WILL throw a code and you'll need to clear it once you plug the sensor back in. Or before, if you'd rather.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Nov 2016, 09:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Replacement computer was faulty. Loose motherboard connections. Awaiting replacement part since it was under warrant
Fk5 and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 02 Nov 2016, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by acelawler View Post
Replacement computer was faulty. Loose motherboard connections. Awaiting replacement part since it was under warrant
Glad we could help.

As you can see, there's lots of good folks here. Please let us know if this fixes you problem. And if so, please come back and join in on the fun on this forum. You will be hot rodding your PT in no time.
chuzz likes this.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Drove car home today. Check engine light on solid as soon as I turned into the driveway, with P0032 and P0038. Gonna be brave and go for a drive while engine light is only solid, to try and see if there are symptoms to go along with it. Continuing at witts end.

Tags
cylinder nonfire