• 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By portajon
  • 5 Post By portajon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2016, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing issue

Hello everyone. Have a timing question.

The timing belt on my 2001 PT Cruiser broke, while underway. I replaced the belt, rollers and water pump, car fired up on first try and idled, but a bit rough. I put it back together, let it idle for a bit and it smoothed out pretty good, but then.... no power. Soon as you put her in gear, the engine just dies.

A friend tries to tell me the old "180 degrees off" bit.... I cant see that. The crank was alligned and the cam sprockets I THOUGHT were alligned. My guess is that I missed the mark on the cam sprockets and I'm a notch off. But.... thought I would put this out here for some feedback before I go back into her.

Thanks for any input, in advance.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing issue

In the HOW TO section of this forum you'll find about 5 threads on replacing the timing belt with pictures and notes on how to make sure it's done properly. Maybe one of them will give you a clue to what you may have done wrong.

HOW TO's
Old 28 Oct 2016, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

After installing the timing belt did you rotate it several times to make sure it was on mark?

I would suggest checking all vacuum hoses and check for vacuum leaks.

I would suggest using a vaccum gauge for reading, if the belt is off a tooth it will reflect in either a very high idle HG or very low.

An engine that is in good condition will idle between 16-18 steady on most 2.4 engines.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 28 Oct 2016 at 12:57 pm.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If me, I'd pull of the top piece of the timing cover. Then I'd remove #1 spark plug and then rotate the engine until that piston was all the way up on the compression stroke. Then I'd check the timing marks on the sprockets. I believe there's a decent probability that one of the camshafts will be found to be a tooth off.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks gentlemen. Will take all of this advice. I went ahead and ordered new engine mounts and a radiator today. Considering that the car did start and the valves didn't get twisted, I'm going to sink a few dollars and some time into her and try to get another 30 or 40k out of her.

I feel like I'm probably off one tooth on the timing... I went by a good set of illustrated instructions... But it think I could have gotten the half mark on the exhaust cam sprocket wrong.. Will let you guys know. Thanks.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Almost forgot to update this.

Took it all back down and timed it up right on the second attempt. New radiator, and serpentine belt tensioner pulley in addition to water pump. Idler and timing tensioner. Running well and driving her to Georgia for Thanksgiving.

Appreciate the input.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 07:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by portajon View Post
Almost forgot to update this.

Took it all back down and timed it up right on the second attempt. New radiator, and serpentine belt tensioner pulley in addition to water pump. Idler and timing tensioner. Running well and driving her to Georgia for Thanksgiving.

Appreciate the input.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 08:15 am
Cool Cruiser

time to let folks know a trick...
if you use a straight edge across BOTH notches on the intake cam it will be very obvious if the timing is off by looking at the straight edge position to the exhaust notches. I think the mistake happens while trying to keep tension on the belt and moving the crank while slipping the belt on the pump and intake..
the way to keep the crank a little more locked in position is after the tdc mark is lined up, put back in all the spark plugs. they will help keep the crank locked a bit. or a socket and long breaker bar on the crank bolt.
be picky and quadruple check then it will work.
Old 22 Nov 2016, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It doesn't help matters when you have all the motor mounts removed and a bottle jack under the pan, lifting the engine up and down to try and get that dang front bracket out. The engine gets a little cocked one way or the other and it plays tricks on your eyes.