PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Source for new or re-built PT Cruiser Engine...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Imakenocents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2016, 03:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Source for new or re-built PT Cruiser Engine...

My base model 2003 PT Cruiser now has 181,000 plus miles on it. It still runs great, but might be down a bit on power. It is also a bit nosier than when it was new.

Anyone have any idea where, in Southern California, I can either get the engine re-built (when the time comes) or get a new or rebuilt engine?

I have not decided whether or not I will do the swapping myself (I have swapped the engine on a pre-war Ford several times, but that seems incredibly simple compared to doing this).

Also, does anyone know how long these engines last in general? If they normally last 250,000 miles I am well below that-if they normally last 150,000 miles I will be more concerned.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Source for new or re-built PT Cruiser Engine...

there is a thread on here that says how many miles on your PT
you would be surprised at just how long these little things will go with some good Preventive maintance
Id say 250,000 is a good number

Jasper makes a lot of remand engines I think they used to have a 100,000 mile warrantee but im sure there are a lot of hidden requirements

rebuilding if done right is as good as a remand
and a new create motor is probably gonne be pricey
it would ne nice to have a brand new engine but its gonna cost ya
Old 28 Oct 2016, 04:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine has around 150K on it and runs like new. No oil use, no smoke, no undue noise, just smooth power and fast starts. The former owner had a blown head gasket repaired around 30K ago and the timing belt was done then too.

Except for the small dings and scratches that come with ten years of constant use, you might think my PT was still fairly new. And I believe it had a rough life for the last few years before I got it. Once the all things that usually break on a PT are fixed, they can last for a long time and stay looking sharp if you give them enough love.

If your engine was cared for, it may last well into the 200K range or beyond. Just remember that the timing belts have around a 100K mile lifespan, change the oil routinely with the right oil and have it tuned up ever so often.

And frankly, PT's as old as ours are not worth having a new or rebuilt engine put in. Luckily you cannot throw a rock in a salvage yard without hitting a PT Cruiser engine. So there's plenty of cheap used engines should you need one.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Oct 2016 at 04:42 pm.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 04:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAK402 View Post
My base model 2003 PT Cruiser now has 181,000 plus miles on it. It still runs great, but might be down a bit on power. It is also a bit nosier than when it was new.

Do a compression test

Anyone have any idea where, in Southern California, I can either get the engine re-built (when the time comes) or get a new or rebuilt engine?

Check local Craig s List for local Auto Wreckers and low mileage tested engines

I have not decided whether or not I will do the swapping myself (I have swapped the engine on a pre-war Ford several times, but that seems incredibly simple compared to doing this).

Also, does anyone know how long these engines last in general? If they normally last 250,000 miles I am well below that-if they normally last 150,000 miles I will be more concerned.

You can again check you local Craig's list for independent shop and mechanic that can even come to your house to do an engine transmission swap.

The 1.6 and 2.4 gas engines are capable of exceeding 200K if the common sence things are maintained.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Oct 2016, 10:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Source for new or re-built PT Cruiser Engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAK402 View Post

Another possibility would be LKQ on line. They are a large salvage outfit spanning the nation and I personally have bought two salvage engines from them on line and delivery was free. Prices are reasonable and you can choose from their inventory of engines based on mileage and some are low mile engines. Prices will vary based on mileage but I think they are top notch and do a good job of packaging and shipment. Just go to their on line website, type in your year make and model then category selection and you can see for yourself. I have been pleased with both engines I bought from them. One was for a 2006 Chevy Uplander 3.5 and the other was a 1999 Chevy Suburban 5.7. I have ran the search on their site for Pt Cruiser engines and they have many available anywhere from 860 to 1310 dollars when I checked last. If you install it yourself that's not to terrible for bringing your Pt back to life again if you plan to keep it. Just another option to look at for you.