PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Window motors- hardtop and vert the same?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DroptopPTGTCruizer
  • 1 Post By nomad327

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2016, 08:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Window motors- hardtop and vert the same?

Curious if anyone knows for sure if the window motors are the same in the hardtop and convertible? I have a weak motor (I'm guessing it's the motor, I'll check the rest while I'm in there) in the rear driver side of my vert. Just wondering if the ones in my hardtop parts car are the same and if I should keep the rest for spares.
Old 01 Nov 2016, 08:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Window motors- hardtop and vert the same?

Maybe nobody has looked into this before? Does anybody know where I could compare part numbers? It's not a critical situation, just wondering if I should dig the motors out of my parts car... thanks for any help!
Old 02 Nov 2016, 12:39 am
Young Cruiser

If you look up the window motors and/or window regulators on RockAuto.com under "Interior" for the 2005 PT, catalog has different model numbers listed for wagon & convertible. Always interesting to find out what parts are differentiated between the 2dr/4dr, window motor is one part I never gave any thought to, so I was curious to find out myself. Hope this helps...
Carnut likes this.
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~
Old 02 Nov 2016, 08:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This is a rarely discussed subject and I am still a little confused about it. When programming the smart windows, some Chrysler documents talk about the Body Control Module (BCM). However, others talk about Smart Window control modules being physically located at the drive motors and may need to be programmed with a drive motor is replaced. And of course, the convertible drive motors appear to be different part numbers than for the Wagons and are more expensive.

I have a wagon drive motor and regulator in my bone pile. So when I remove the door panels in my vert to install chrome door pulls, I'll likely do my comparison then to figure out what the real deal is.
Old 02 Nov 2016, 11:15 am
Regular Cruiser

On an 05 convertible, the smart module for the front windows is physically connected to the drivers side window lift motor. I believe it operates both sides. There is also a module in the passenger side door, but it is different and I never actually eyeballed it.
The mechanical linkage on a convertible is the old car style where there are two long metal arms that form an X and pivot on a center pin with a giant toothed metal gear that engages a small gear on the motor. This is completely different from the wagon which has the single metal track with two cables that go to the motor drive.
The 06 and up wiring diagram shows it is all connected to the CanBus in some manner so the wiring and logic would likely be different, but the hardware is probably very similar.
I would guess the rear windows would also be unique compared to the wagons, but likely have some sort of cable drive.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 02 Nov 2016, 07:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all the input... very interesting info. I suppose I'll just leave the doors alone on the parts car and keep them complete. Maybe they will be of better use to another member.