Advertisements
transmission problem

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2016, 05:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry transmission problem

We took my 2005 PT Cruiser to the shop because it was not shifting right and rhe RPM's were way too high. The engine light had been on for quite some time, but I had been told repeatedly that they could not figure out why without going to a dealership. At any rate, when we finally took it to figure out the transmission problem they first flushed the transmission which did nothing. We took it back and they said the transmission needed replacing. We had a rebuilt transmission installed. Almost immediately after picking up the car it began to act the same way !! They said to bring it back. We did and they said the problem all along was the transmission module and that was what ruined the old transmission. They said this would ruin the new transmission too and that we would need to go to the dealership to have it replaced. They said this would cost about $1000. My question and concern is why was this not discovered in the first place ? Maybe at this point it would not have mattered because the transmission was already ruined, but I can't help but wonder why the problem could not have been fixed before we spent the money for a new transmission. Is there anything we can do other than heeding the advice to go to tbe dealership and spend the $1000?
Old 05 Nov 2016, 06:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: transmission problem

Too bad you didn't come here and find us first. I won't get into the specifics of what I'd do about getting ripped off, because that's not why you're here. I would have thought that a new solenoid pack would have come with a "new" transmission, but I'm not a mechanic, so don't know. I actually went to a salvage yard and pulled the solenoid pack from a wrecked PT and paid $25 for it and put it on my car. I also did a fluid and FILTER change with ATF+4 fluid and took care of mine. Even a new solenoid pack from a parts store is under $200. The dealership should have changed the filter also, instead of just doing a fluid change. Filters get clogged. If you're the least bit mechanically oriented and don't mind getting a little dirty, you can do the filter change and solenoid pack yourself. Lots of help here, if you ask. I hate to say it, but it sounds to me like you got ripped off big time. Now, do us all a favor and go to the new member area and introduce yourself and tell us about your PT. We know it's an 05, but is it a turbo or not, what trim package etc. And mileage too. That always helps with diagnosis.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 09:09 am
Cool Cruiser

i'd almost be certain that the computer is out (pcu). the tranny control is integrated with the computer. looks like you found a poor repair shop, i'd rate them so customers will stay away. a trans shop can test the things to see if its mechanical or electrical. with that being said, when a repair shop says they cant figure it out- GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
how much for the new tranny? and did they credit the old "bad" one towards your bill? look over your receipt.
how many miles? turbo or non? stick or auto? curious if its like my girlfriends 05 naturally aspirated (n/a) non turbo limited edition...

Last edited by rambojoe; 05 Nov 2016 at 09:13 am.
Old 07 Nov 2016, 06:27 am
Cool Cruiser

There is a transmission module?