Advertisements
Head Gasket Part Number

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dahoopd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2016, 03:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Head Gasket Part Number

Can anyone provide the correct Fel-Pro HG gasket part number. There are 2 listed (26202 & 26206) But I am having a hell of a time figuring out what one is correct. I am going to attempt to screw up the HG replacement on my own. I have no trouble doing them on a conventional motor but this OVH turbo stuff wigs me out. Fortunately there is a slew of threads and photos to help on here. Thank you for the help.

2003 PT Cruiser GT 2.4l Turbo
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 04:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Head Gasket Part Number

26202 is for VIN code G. That should be you. I'd get the head set.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Nov 2016 at 04:40 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 06:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Dont forget to use new head bolts as they are strech to tight after inal tighting
Old 05 Nov 2016, 07:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
26202 is for VIN code G. That should be you. I'd get the head set.

Whats VIN code G?

Head Set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggajb View Post
Dont forget to use new head bolts as they are strech to tight after inal tighting
Yeah, I learned that my very first HG repair. What a no-no!
Old 06 Nov 2016, 12:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoopd View Post
Whats VIN code G?

Head Set?

The eighth digit in your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is the engine code. For 2003 PT Cruisers, the "G" code specifies the GT turbo engine.

A Head Set is a gasket set that contains the head gasket plus most of the other gaskets and seals needed when replacing the head gasket. In a PT set, you will get the head gasket, valve cover gasket, intake manifold gasket, exhaust gasket, camshaft seals, valve cover bolt o-rings, valve guide seals and a few other items. It's often a much more cost effective way to buy these and to do the job right.

Also, I always have the head rebuilt at a machine shop when I replace a head gasket. This helps assure nothing was warped or damaged when the engine overheated. As a tip, take the valve guide seals from the head gasket set with you when you take the head to the machine shop. This saves the shop having to go find some and charge you for them.

It should be noted that I am a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Nov 2016 at 12:10 am.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 07:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

The HS on the part #'s Handy provided stand for Head Set. Read the description and take note that while the head bolts are NOT included, it's recommended you replace them because they are torque to yield and are NOT reusable.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.